AVS Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 5694 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is what crown provides as guidelines:

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

The designer of my speakers often used Spectron power amps at shows.

You also need to factor in the use of DSP in the equation.

You can do all the calculations you want, but in the end what matters to me is the real world experience in my room. And for the levels I listen at, the amps I employ fit the bill.

Mains: Yamaha P7000S

Center: Adcom 7705 (1 channel)

Surrounds: Onkyo 3009 Receiver

2 18" subs: iNuke 6000DSP

1 18" sub: plate amp

Cheers,

OldMovieNut
Amplifier manufacturers guidelines are hardly honest.
Check the references. They're not pulling numbers out of their ass.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And the primary and maybe even the only reason I participate in this hobby. Everything I've done over the 60 years I've played in this hobby has been to cultivate the three dimensionality aspects of music with only two speakers.

Why do you think that using only 2 speakers to make a 3D sound is some sort of magic? You only have 2 ears to listen from where sounds come from. You only need 2 eyes to accurately judge objects in 3D space.

3D imaging has way more to do with imagination than equipment. But also, nothing seems to enhance imagination more than equipment.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Why do you think that using only 2 speakers to make a 3D sound is some sort of magic? You only have 2 ears to listen from where sounds come from. You only need 2 eyes to accurately judge objects in 3D space.

3D imaging has way more to do with imagination than equipment.
I said music, not magic.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
many, many smart people have lost their shirts/bank rolls on science...I thought we all could agree flat sounds like shiit but guess not
Over 3000 posts and you think that's what the consensus agrees on? What type of response do you think we all agree sounds good?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ya know, you can leave the condescension out of your responses to me if you would truly like any sort of discussion. Thank you.
Simple questions only require simple answers. "Woe is me" diversions are a method of avoiding "any sort of discussion" that's meaningful. Simple question, again:

On a give track of music, without intimate knowledge of how it was recorded and mixed, how are you determining the soundstage depth you hear from your speakers are actually contained in the recording vs. your speaker setup adding a little extra depth beyond what's in the recording? For those who want to evaluate speakers based upon their ability to image and create a 3D soundstage, it's an important question.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I own some really good box focal aria's and also recently bought the magnepan lrs. if you cant tell the difference in sound, you cant hear. this has nothing to do with recodings as same source has always been used. when scott says 3d, the lrs have 3d nailed. I dont know whats so complicated in understanding not all speakers sound the same even if measured same. there is no confusion when it comes to speakers sounding different. buy you flattest measured speakers you can find...this doesnt mean they will sound the best.

Reactions: Scotth3886

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Over 3000 posts and you think that's what the consensus agrees on? What type of response do you think we all agree sounds good?

I own horns, domes and planers...they all sound good...some sound better than others based on my choice of music. whenI say response Im talkin frequency response and in my use, that measurement dont mean ****.

Reactions: Scotth3886

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
I own some really good box focal aria's and also recently bought the magnepan lrs. if you cant tell the difference in sound, you cant hear. this has nothing to do with recodings as same source has always been used. when scott says 3d, the lrs have 3d nailed. I dont know whats so complicated in understanding not all speakers sound the same even if measured same. there is no confusion when it comes to speakers sounding different. buy you flattest measured speakers you can find...this doesnt mean they will sound the best.

That's a nice trait to have, but far from 'my' priority. You're are now experiencing what I've been talking about all this time, but the LRSs are lacking in panel area to really throw their weight around. This is what Wendell is hoping for is that folks sample this little taste treat and get an answer with what's possible and then turn around and buy one of the bigger models to get the rest of the dinner. We'll see if it works. I don't think so to any great extent as I think a vast majority of peeps with smaller rooms with be as happy as a piggy in doo doo to stay right where they are.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
That's a nice trait to have, but far from 'my' priority. You're are now experiencing what I've been talking about all this time, but the LRSs are lacking in panel area to really throw their weight around. This is what Wendell is hoping for is that folks sample this little taste treat and get an answer with what's possible and then turn around and buy one of the bigger models to get the rest of the dinner. We'll see if it works. I don't think so to any great extent as I think a vast majority of peeps with smaller rooms with be as happy as a piggy in doo doo to stay right where they are.

the lrs do a great job in large size rooms like mine if listening distance is 10ft or less imo. the lrs are music mainly speakers. the box focals are more all around.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
That old canard. Learn a bit about how we resolve spatial cues.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
forgot to add scott has linked lots of audiophile music on tidal in magnepan owners tread. so imo great source of awesome recordings when comparing or just enjoying music. thanks again scott for sharing.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Yes you said music. I got that. It's just the whole "dimensionality" thing. If you want to pinpoint 3D locations of aspects in music, the kind f thing you are talking about - fine - but its in your head.

Sure, I'll stipulate to that. Perceive with your ears and interpret in your head. Perfect

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
the lrs do a great job in large size rooms like mine if listening distance is 10ft or less imo. the lrs are music mainly speakers. the box focals are more all around.

The more nearfield the better. Even in large rooms. Hell, I've tried with my MLs 60%+/- out into the room. Fascinating dimensional presentation, but really F's up the room, more than even I'm willing to do.

I have used similar between LR and dining room / kitchen and had sound stage going both ways.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Yes. You are correct.

My thoughts were that amplifier power rating (RMS) should not be defined by max power capability of the speaker, but the power requirement at the listening level.

Also the power needed for the transient peaks in the music needs to be compared with transient power capacity (rather than RMS power capacity) of the amp.

Would you agree?
I can agree with that, yes. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

My only caveat is that the speaker must be able to handle those transient peaks as well as the amplifier. Back in the day I replaced plenty of drivers for folk who got the big amp but failed to realize their speakers had limits too...

Reactions: SouthernCA

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
I can agree with that, yes. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

My only caveat is that the speaker must be able to handle those transient peaks as well as the amplifier. Back in the day I replaced plenty of drivers for folk who got the big amp but failed to realize their speakers had limits too...
Or picked the wrong big amp and set the place on fire.

3221 - 3240 of 5694 Posts