AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 5694 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
if people dont like a 2k+ bookshelve its cause they picky/have a sound they after...I havent heard a poor bookshelf yet at 2 grand

·
Registered
908 Posts
after diving head first into headphone game I hear alot more...nothing close to my stereo fullrange home setup...but way easier to focus and listen and hear stuff different.
My headphone experience is a bit different. My LCD3's let me hear more details than any speakers under 20k or so, but I do miss the larger sound from speakers when I'm wearing them.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
It won't be long before the audiophile gang shows up to reject and dismiss applied science in lieu of their subjective techno-babble. Rest assured - it's coming.

I posted a published paper that dismisses the op's statement by the guy that wrote the paper that op is using...confusing.

Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
My headphone experience is a bit different. My LCD3's let me hear more details than any speakers under 20k or so, but I do miss the larger sound from speakers when I'm wearing them.

yea, I have had my senn hd600's for 20+ years...and with my new dacs and amps they like a brand new speaker....same with a few other headphones I have which are costlier....I think what I meant to say is headphones let me dive deeper into rabbit hole while my towers/subs let me be demolished by rabbit hole :) cant really afford to get out

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
well I guess so...most people know what they like and dont need science to tell them

Reactions: Scotth3886

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
well I guess so...most people know what they like and dont need science to tell them
Food companies and restaurants spend enormous amounts of time and money to determine the likes and dislikes of consumers via taste testing that is conducted using a scientific method. The data from those findings are used to develop new or alter preexisting products. The intent is to have a product that is favored by the majority. If this well known and accepted discipline is used for taste, why not do the same for hearing?

It isn't about what you like or what I like. Rather, it is about finding out what the majority of consumers like so you can maximize product adoption. If you build a speaker according to the data you gather, you have a statistical probability that the when the consumer hears that speaker they will not only like it but buy it. The science simply shows what the majority of people prefer. It doesn't mean that everyone will like it. What Harmon does is smart business and my ears agree with their findings. I guess I fall in the statistical majority although my mother always told me I was "special";)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
many, many smart people have lost their shirts/bank rolls on science...I thought we all could agree flat sounds like shiit but guess not

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Could you do the KEF Q100 or 500s? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Kevin,
Could you compare the Revel F228Be to the PSB Imagine T2 or T3?

Thanks!

Reactions: CruelInventions

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I would like op to show measurements dont mean jack diddly

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
many, many smart people have lost their shirts/bank rolls on science...I thought we all could agree flat sounds like shiit but guess not
I would assume that is why there is a Harmon curve because their findings agree with you. I want a speaker that measures flat because it shows accuracy. I will always season to taste regardless of what others tell me. My money, my home, my sound. I find the science interesting, but much of it is over my head. I didn't buy JBL for the science, but I am confident their science had a lot to do with me ending up as a customer. Likewise, McDonalds french fries are my favorite. I am sure there was some science that took place behind the scenes that keeps me coming back.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
well not getting too far over my head...revel salon 2's were favored over a better measuring jbl m2...so that alone throws this topic underwater

·
Registered
171 Posts
after diving head first into headphone game I hear alot more...nothing close to my stereo fullrange home setup...but way easier to focus and listen and hear stuff different.
science probably says that those that can afford 10k + speakers cant hear abover 15khz if lucky...
The funny thing is most headphones have fudge all above 10KHz anyway, if you look at top headphones like Orpheus, SR-009, Utopia, etc, it's a total mess usually starting above 6-8KHz, and beyond 10K it looks like a failed polygraph exam. You basically are just listening to 20Hz - 10KHz range with most headphones.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
yup and I have run many sweeps/test tones...but what is weird is that Im deaf at 15khz on my system but 17khz in pro sound booth/dr office.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
well maybe not weird...but i aint no spring chicken celebrating 22khz anymore

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
and Im not getting mad at not hearing air on my 5 grand speakers so I can get madder at not hearing air on 20 grand speakers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It won't be long before the audiophile gang shows up to reject and dismiss applied science in lieu of their subjective techno-babble. Rest assured - it's coming.
Molon_Labe,

Thank you for the head's up. I expect it, but it is sad, as we are supposed to be working toward better sound.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi Kevin,
Could you compare the Revel F228Be to the PSB Imagine T2 or T3?

Thanks!
Hello SDRUCKER,

I am sorry, but we do not have either speaker. This is an example in which we could do a set of measurements if someone wished to loan one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Molon_Labe,

Thank you for the head's up. I expect it, but it is sad, as we are supposed to be working toward better sound.
Most companies spend more on marketing than research. Like the Bose tagline says... Better sound through research. 😀

21 - 40 of 5694 Posts