AVS Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 5675 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Though no spinorama available for it, the Dutch 8c horizontal dispersion looks good, isn't it ?
I can't imagine a speaker measuring better. Notice that the mid-bass hump is an artifact of the measuring technique, so it should actually be perfectly flat on-axis down to ~20Hz, and those two sharp notches in bass output were actually being caused by EQ settings.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Hey, harmanites harmanizing the morning away, this thread is ultimately about listening to music, right? Huh, no? Well give this one a try. This is fantastic.

Posted in another thread this morning by grigorianvlad and something I've never heard before.

Hot damn is this nice, IMO, of course.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/4523608

·
Registered
108 Posts
Though no spinorama available for it, the Dutch 8c horizontal dispersion looks good, isn't it ?
They do look impressive. I wonder about the low dispersion though. It's down -12db @ 90 degrees horizontal starting at 300hz, compared to around -6db for a typical speaker such as Salon2. I would think that could sound unnatural at least from being unusual.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dutch & dutch 8c are an interesting speaker but being locked into proprietary system with no possible way to recover (except sending to manufacturer and fixing it) if anything happens to fragile electronics/firmware from a new company at their price looks really bad, not sure it is very wise investment.
So many points of failure in a small enclosure, and every point breaks them completely.
Scary.
But on the other hand their target audience is probably the one that can spend that much without even thinking to play with a new toy, so probably not a problem at all for the people that will purchase this speaker.

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
Dutch & dutch 8c are an interesting speaker but being locked into proprietary system with no possible way to recover (except sending to manufacturer and fixing it) if anything happens to fragile electronics/firmware from a new company at their price looks really bad, not sure it is very wise investment.
So many points of failure in a small enclosure, and every point breaks them completely.
Scary.
But on the other hand their target audience is probably the one that can spend that much without even thinking to play with a new toy, so probably not a problem at all.
I really like their logo though. Very clever. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
And one good way, at least IMO, however peculiar it might be, is to listen to the result of those numbers. No?
That is a straw man argument as no one suggests otherwise, and if you want to be constructive instead for snarky you could list some music that could be good for testing and stating why you think so. You'll even get a gold star of you can relate that to the research described in this thread.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
That is a straw man argument as no one suggests otherwise, and if you want to be constructive instead for snarky you could list some music that could be good for testing and stating why you think so. You'll even get a gold star of you can relate that to the research described in this thread.
"You'll even get a gold star"

^^^^ is this not snarky? ^^^^

"you could list some music that could be good for testing and stating why you think so"

The 'scale' of that string bass versus the image size of the vocals.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
This: How to Choose a Loudspeaker -- What the Science Shows. Please don't add more clutter.
Ok, Dr. Rubinson. Where do I find the measurements "The 'scale' of that string bass versus the image size 'scale' of the vocals." ? And yes, I have The Book.

Something that's critical to me (and many others) if a manufacture wants my $$$$.

Maybe we need moar science?

On my last purchase of my main speakers, Magnepan ( 3.7i ) lost the sale over this issue.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
It's probably correlated with a low directivity index. Just a guess.

Omnidirectional speakers like Ohm Walsh sound "big" in scale, for example. As do electrostatics, because they put a lot of energy into the walls.

4061 - 4080 of 5675 Posts