·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hmmm...

"Listening preferences and design goals vary, which is why there is still a viable market for the 400+ speaker brands out there. People should evaluate a speaker’s radiation pattern in context with how closely they’ll sit to the speakers. Imaging isn’t particularly as relevant in the absolute farfield (i.e. sitting very far from the speakers making you hear more of the reflected sound than the direct sound)."

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I suppose curves are smooth, so "smooth off-axis" could mean literally anything... but it seems like Harman designs their speakers such that all the spin-o-rama traces are as close to straight lines as possible, not curves.
Go back to the first few posts in this thread. Look at the spinorama data for the F228Be and the early reflections and sound power curves.

More good info here: https://www.sausalitoaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Interpreting-Spinorama-Charts.pdf

·
Registered
984 Posts
I suppose curves are smooth, so "smooth off-axis" could mean literally anything... but it seems like Harman designs their speakers such that all the spin-o-rama traces are as close to straight lines as possible, not curves.
We're getting pretty academic here. An "NRC" curve,if it ever existed, would have been some departure from flat on axis. I don't think anyone has suggested that companies should target some off-axis curve that isn't smooth. This subject came up in the context of whether people really preferred flat response, particularly flat on axis response. And they do.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I suppose curves are smooth, so "smooth off-axis" could mean literally anything...
Smoothly declining off axis would have been more descriptive.

Even the entry level Infinity's follow that design goal although the new ones have more treble lift than the Revels.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Smoothly declining off axis would have been more descriptive.

Even the entry level Infinity's follow that design goal although the new ones have more treble lift than the Revels.
Yes but I take a bit further to say that the early reflections should be always declining, they can be flat for however long but should never go back up. If they go back up it's usually a directivity mismatch and can still make a speaker sound bright if it's in the 1-5k range. My KEF R3 do that a bit in the 2-4k range and do need a bit of EQ to smooth them out.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Hmmm...

"Listening preferences and design goals vary, which is why there is still a viable market for the 400+ speaker brands out there. People should evaluate a speaker’s radiation pattern in context with how closely they’ll sit to the speakers. Imaging isn’t particularly as relevant in the absolute farfield (i.e. sitting very far from the speakers making you hear more of the reflected sound than the direct sound)."
Relevant to me in the context of side-firing woofers. They don't sound good in nearfield placement but they help keep cabinets narrow for crowded rooms with multichannel systems, particularly 9 towers on the floor in my case.

5681 - 5694 of 5694 Posts