AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on cleaning the Panamorph surfaces? I assume that standard Windex is a no-no, but don't really know what the surfaces are made of.

I got a few fingerprints and dust on mine when positioning it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Mark,

If that's coated glass you surely don't want to use Windex on it. Go to any camera shop and buy a bottle of camera lens cleaning solution and lens cleaning wipes. That's also what you should use to clean your projector lenses.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm not sure if they're coated either, but I didn't have any lens cleaning solution so I did use Windex and a clean cloth. Worked pretty good.

The way it collects dust makes one re-think not having the assembly in a hushbox.

Chris

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I love the optics, but how to clean was just about one of the first questions I asked myself. It's a dust magnet.

I don't see an air path to the interior, but I seem to have dust collecting there.

I've resisted the temptation to take a lock grip to the adjusting screws, a Teflon washer or something might be of use there as well.

Also take a look at the average number of posts of contributors to this topic. No newbies here so far.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Luca,

Maybe I could just take it out on the back deck and just hose it off for a 'quick cleaning'.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Windex is what he said at the Panamorph party, but it would be good to here from Shawn. They might also want to include a sentence about that in the included instructions.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
730 Posts
How about just plain ol' canned air? Works great for photographers, projectionists and my housekeeper. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

The MPAA will not win this one!

Stop DVI/HDCP, PHILA and 5C- hack and mod to your heart's content!

·
Registered
730 Posts
oh, I forgot. WOOF.

------------------

The MPAA will not win this one!

Stop DVI/HDCP, PHILA and 5C- hack and mod to your heart's content!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK. Looks like Shawn isn't going to show up at this party.

Chris Lay,

Would you Windex it again if you needed to clean it? If you give it a thumbs up, I will go with that. If not, there is a photographic shop at the local mall.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Yeah, but I'm not going to be the first fool to screw up their Pannie by trying to clean it. I'm going to get magic cleaning stuff from the camera store and a can of air.

I'd really like to know what's safe from Cygnus.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Yes, indeed, Windex does work as will general lens cleaners. To copy from another thread, the coatings are very durable and even the glass manufacturer uses Windex. Once the worst is removed, I then just breathe on the glass and use a clean tissue to remove the smears. Sometimes this requires a second clean tissue if the first does not finish the job.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Kelly:

I then just breathe on the glass and use a clean tissue to remove the smears. Sometimes this requires a second clean tissue if the first does not finish the job.
But isn't using tissue an no-no with glass products? I use cloth and my glasses are still a scratch factory (OK, maybe small children had something to do with that).

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Manny, it often depends not on the coating but on the glass material itself (if it's a good coating). I am also assuming that people are not cleaning the Panamorph anywhere nearly as much as their eyeglasses. However, it is a good point that, as a minimum, the tissue or cloth should be nonabrasive.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.