AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to find out if there is any company that has figured out a way to combine two analog inputs of video to upscale the video to a high definiton source.

For instance, what if it used interlacing two duplicate images and could upscale considering that there are two identical sources, and give an output at 1080i resolution?

I guess the goal is to be able to take something like a HI-FI VCR and run the two outs simultaneously:
1. Coaxial Output
2. Standard Video with RCA Audio (Yellow, Red, White)
=
One likely Component Video (Red, Green, Blue, and audio: Red & White) at 1080i, or possibly digital upscaling to HDMI at 1080i ?

Does anyone know of such a device, or possibly how to make this? This would make old VCR watching super fantastic!

Some resources about how it seems to have been done in some modern CCTV cameras, but I can't find a device that does this outside of a camera:
I am a new user to the forum, so I was unable to post the link below to the CCTV resource.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is what I think you're looking for: link

But a VCR tape on a new HDTV is not going to look great. If you want the absolute best possible image from old sources like a VCR or Laserdisc, you'll want an actual scaler. They'll run you into the several hundreds of dollars.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Waste of money. Upscaling low resolution is fruitless. Garbage in - garbage out.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Once upon a time line-doublers were used to do exactly this, primarily for high end CRT based devices. Now we have scalers, which can be standalone or built in to another device like a media/disc player or AV receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts