AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to use an Nvidia 9500GT card for my HTPC and a motherboard cable of 8 channell audio I will need 2 HDMI cables.

On my rotel processor that handles both audio and video I need to use one HDMI cable for input.

How can I combine the two HDMI cables?

·
Registered
993 Posts
You can't. The audio data would have to be properly inserted into the video data stream. Sound cards with HDMI video input (such as the Asus Xonar HDAV) do something similar, but I am not aware of a device that takes existing video and audio over HDMI and mixes them together.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Run the HDMI with the video directly to the display and the HDMI with the audio to the processor. You will obviously have to change sources on both the display and the processor, but at least it will do what you want. A Harmony remote or other automation system could do the source switching automatically. This is how I have my Rotel set up. Of course, mine is old and is using 6 channel analog audio and Component Video from my HTPC. Just because audio and video are HDMI doesn't mean it has to all be on the same connector.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Obviously anyone with a HDMI switching receiver or processor would like it to do everything on one connector. My point is that if you think outside the box, it will work using two separate HDMI connections. Of course, if you don't have a Harmony remote (or something else that will handle the input selection coordination for you), it will be too tedious to use this way.

- Mike

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
If you must use one cable, I think your options are a new video card that supports multichannel audio directly, or the Xonar HDAV which accepts the video from the video card, and mixes audio in and outputs both.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only option is to buy the Asus xonar 1.3 slim. At least you'll get dts-hd ma and truehd. Do Rotel processors support those yet? They're always so slow to support the latest codecs, though I'm sure by now they do.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots4x /forum/post/16958348

The only option is to buy the Asus xonar 1.3 slim. At least you'll get dts-hd ma and truehd. Do Rotel processors support those yet? They're always so slow to support the latest codecs, though I'm sure by now they do.

Or replace the 9500gt with an ATI 4xxx. Get the video and LPCM out of the video card. Either way he'll require new hardware, a low end vid card will be cheaper than an HDAV.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You can't combine them and I didn't think an audio only cable would work. Doesn't the AV receiver have to pass through the display info to the computer before the handshaking will be done? And the motherboard HDMI won't pass audio without the handshaking.

The HDMI requires the proper handshaking to connect so it becomes more complex than the older formats (analog audio, SPDIF audio, component video, S-vid video etc).

Your options are to use analog cables or a different video card or the Xonar sound card.

Peter

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho /forum/post/16959460

Or replace the 9500gt with an ATI 4xxx. Get the video and LPCM out of the video card. Either way he'll require new hardware, a low end vid card will be cheaper than an HDAV.

Exactly. ATI 4xxx card for about $50 or HDAV Slim for $130. But if the OP has a DTS-MA and TrueHD receiver or plans on upgrading to one, then he may want to consider the HDAV Slim instead of the new video card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts