AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been itching to try a Xpanel project but did not have the hardware to do it until now. I picked up a cnxenet+ a couple of days ago for my cnmsx-pro. Physical installation looks simple enough but IP ain't my thing. I know you set it up using Viewport but I'm a little unsure about choosing the actual settings to enter into the correct fields. After that, how can I test it to be sure it works? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Which fields are you talking about specifically?

Here comes a lot of information. It's been a few years since I've done one of these on an x-gen processor but hopefully this will point you in the right direction. Feel free to ask questions if I'm unclear.

In SIMPL you'll need an xpanel object attached to the + card. If this is your only one then the device settings should be IP ID 03 and the IP address should be 127.0.0.1.

Connect to the xPRO with Viewport and select Functions|Setup IP Table. You'll need to enter an IP address that is NOT in use on your network. Home networks are often 192.168.1.x where x is a number between 1 and 254. You can find this out by connecting to your (assuming here) router via its web interface.

If you're feeling adventurous you can just pick an IP on your network at random... a quick way (in Windows) to find out your IP address, Default Router (AKA Gateway) and Subnet Mask is to use the Windows command "ipconfig". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8NCcWEUMw

The Subnet Mask and default router/gateway that you enter in the Crestron's IP Setup should be IDENTICAL to your computer. Only the IP address should be different.

Transfer that compiled file to your xPRO and then choose "Yes" to transfer the IP Table.

To be sure, connect to the xPRO with Viewport and choose Functions|Setup IP Table. You'll need a Master entry with IP ID 03 and the IP of 127.0.0.1 (as above).

Then go to File Transfer|Send Web Pages and upload the HTML files generated by VTPro-e.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Which fields are you talking about specifically?"

The initial IP setup in Viewport>functions>set control system information.

The fields are,

New IP address

New IP mask

New default router

I am now studying your last post.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/19576972

Yeah, that turned into a much more verbose barf of raw knowledge than I intended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/19576972

The initial IP setup in Viewport>functions>set control system information.

The fields are,

New IP address

New IP mask

New default router

IP mask = subnet mask

Default Router = default gateway

You can get those two from your ipconfig command.

The IP address needs to be unique.

Computers and other network gadgets get IP addresses one of two ways:

1. DHCP - A home routers reserves a pool of addresses that they automatically dole out to new devices on the network providing those devices have DHCP enabled. You don't want this for your xpanel. The problem is that you never know what address the device will have.

2. Manual - You pick an IP address that is *not* in the DHCP pool and manually type it into your device. This will work as long as the IP address you type in is compatible with your network... eg. 10.1.1.x or 192.168.1.y, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.