AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new on this forum, I hope I can get some help. I recently got a new phone without a headphone jack which I was using to play music on my speakers using the AUX in of my Onkyo TX-SR307 av receiver. Since that isn't possible anymore I decided to buy a Chromecast to stream music to my receiver and watch movies sometimes but it's not working as I expected.

First I tried to put all devices through the receiver, the TV on the HDMI out and the Chromecast, Nintendo Switch and DVD player on the HDMI in. The video part of this worked fine but the sound only came out of my TV. I read something about my Onkyo receiver not being able to receive audio data through HDMI so I decided to do it a different way.

Currently I have my Chromecast and Nintendo Switch directly connected via HDMI to my TV and than I have a 3.5mm cable from the headphone port on my TV to the AUX in on the Onkyo Receiver. It seems to be working but I feel like this is not the best way to do it and think the audio quality might not sound as good. I do have a COAX cable but haven't really figured out if that would be better or how and what I should attach with it.

So I guess my main question is: How do I connect my Chromecast, Nintendo Switch, Sony KDL-32S4010 TV and Onkyo TX-SR307 av receiver so that I see the video on my TV and all audio comes from my speakers attached to my receiver?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Page 19 of the owner's manual states: "HDMI sources are not output by the speakers connected to the AV receiver."
So it seems like it's primarily designed to be an HDMI switch/passthrough, but it will send the audio information to your TV.
So you can leave your devices connected to the receiver, but use one of the audio out options to return the sound back to the receiver, using either:
TV headphone out 3.5mm to 3.5mm aux in on receiver
TV headphone out 3.5mm to white/red RCA cables connected to one of the receiver audio in
TV RCA out to receiver audio in
^These 3 should all sound the same
Your better bet would be to use a digital connection between the TV and receiver, either Coax like you said (but should look like a single orange RCA port), or Optical (Toslink).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts