AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use headphones with my TV, but its an older TV with no headphone jacks.

My Comcast DTC6412 STB however does have RCA audio outputs (white and red jacks).

Is there some sort of adapter or cable I can get that would allow me to connect the RCA audio outputs on the STB to a mini headphone jack (I want to use my iPod headphones for this)?

Any details on what I need and/or how to do this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Those fixed level RCA outs typically are used to connect to a receiver or other type of audio amplifier. They most likely would not have enough power to drive a set of headphones.

Lacking a receiver, do you perhaps have a pair of powered PC speakers that have a headphone jack on them? If so, you could try a stereo RCA to 1/8 mini phone jack available from Radio Shack to connect the STB to the input of the speakers. Then, plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the speakers. You should then be able to use the volume control to adjust loudness.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr
Those fixed level RCA outs typically are used to connect to a receiver or other type of audio amplifier. They most likely would not have enough power to drive a set of headphones.

Lacking a receiver, do you perhaps have a pair of powered PC speakers that have a headphone jack on them? If so, you could try a stereo RCA to 1/8 mini phone jack available from Radio Shack to connect the STB to the input of the speakers. Then, plug the headphones into the headphone jack on the speakers. You should then be able to use the volume control to adjust loudness.
Yes, you're right - I forgot about that being a fixed level output.

Great idea about using powered speakers. I found these speakers: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=40-1446 which is only $15 and has a headphone jack. So I just need RCA to mini for input to the speakers right? Sweet.

Of course, it would be great if there was a device like this that didn't have the speaker at all, just to keep things more compact. If anyone knows of such a thing please let me know.

While we are on the subject, I'm also looking for a device that will allow me to transmit an audio signal wirelessly, so I can use standard (non-wireless) headphones wirelessly. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=570894 . It would be great if such a device existed, as that would probably offer the powered output and eliminate my need for the powered PC speakers.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Quote:
While we are on the subject, I'm also looking for a device that will allow me to transmit an audio signal wirelessly, so I can use standard (non-wireless) headphones wirelessly. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=570894 . It would be great if such a device existed, as that would probably offer the powered output and eliminate my need for the powered PC speakers
Well, actually, I bought an A/V transmitter/receiver from Radio Shack which I use to re-transmit the satellite signal from my D* DVR in the bedroom to a small TV in the kitchen. I suppose you could set up a system where you would connect the transmitter to your STB, then the receiver to the powered PC speakers, then the headphones to the speakers!

Sounds more like something from a Rube Goldberg cartoon (if anyone remembers him!). Now, I'm not necessarily recommending this as a solution...it's just that I don't know of any other devices that would do what you want. BTW, the transmitter/receiver works pretty well, but it is subject to microwave interference.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
"headphone amplifier"

"wireless audio transmitter"

;)

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys think it would work if I purchaed a FM transmitter that is designed to broadcast iTunes over a FM radio?

I'm thinking I could use it like this:

1) get a cable that goes RCA (white/red) audio out to a mini plug (female, or to a male with a gender cable if a female is not available)

2) plug the FM transmitter into #1

3) get a hand held cheap radio with headset input

4) hook up my wired headphones to #3

This would be great because in addition to looking for an output from the TV, I also want to transmit it wirelessly, but to listen with tiny (in ear) headphones on the receiving end (which is why I would not go with normal wireless headphones in the first place).

And, this way I could control the volume via the hand held radio. If I went with PC powered speakers than I'd have to keep getting up to adjust the output via the speaker volume level.

Do you think this would work? My only hesitation is that these FM transmitters are designed to take an amplified signal (I believe, like the signal that comes out of the iTunes headphone jack). What this be an issue or do you think I'm good to go with this approach?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Other than the voltage possibly being too low, I guess the next weakest spot would be the small radio. I would suspect you would lose a lot of fidelity at that point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.