AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on an old Sansui au-919 receiver, which is a great vintage amp. I'd like to hook it up to a modern powered subwoofer, and I'm not sure how to do that or if it is possible / advised. It seems to just have 2 left/right channels.

Does anyone have experience with this model? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Maybe cheaper to get a more modern unit.

Basically you want to split the signal into Low Frequency and Others and feed them to the appropriate speaker.

In the dawn of 2.1, those subwoofers (self powered) had a built-in crossover, so you feed the signal to the subwoofer, the sub, via its internal crossover, splits the signal and use the low frequencies, while passing the rest back to the receiver to be amplified and feed your L&R. Like this:

Receiver line out -> sub -> receiver line in.

Receivers having no line out, you can potentially use speaker level signals but that becomes more complicated and is LoFI, really not recommended.

In a pinch, if you don't mind feeding your L&R with everything, just take the line out signal and feed it to the SW, if it has a built-in crossover your are all set, if if doesn't, you can use a crossover box in between or there are cheapo ($10 bux) in-line low-pass adapter you can place between the two, obviously not as good as an honest to God crossover but is cheap.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The AU-919 is an integrated amplifier not a receiver..
The subwoofer should be connected through the pre-out/main-in jacks..

Just my $0.02... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts