AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the newbie question -- just got my htpc and can't get any digital sound out to my receiver; going through all the possibilities and I just want to make sure I have the right connector. I'm using a stereo mini plug on one end of an adapter out to a digital coax female, then using a standard rca digital coax to my digital coax in on my receiver. Any inherent problem with that??

Thanks for the assistance

·
Registered
34 Posts
That doesn't make sense. You're going from "analog" mini to digital coax. Never going to work. I'm not familiar with the Audigy 2 but does it have a coax out or SPDF out (fiber).

The only thing mini stereo will plug into is left and right RCA stereo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I had a 10 minute argument with the idiot at Radio Shack, telling him the same damn thing. And he's talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about when I raised the exact same concern.

Unbelievable. Well, can anyone tell me what kind of converter I need to use to take the RCA digital coax into a mini plug? Is it just a digital version of the same type of converter?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's anything like the old 5.1 series (which i think it is) then all you need is a minijack - phono/rca lead, if it's stereo, the left hand channel will carry the s/pdif signal. Don't forget to turn on digital output in the windows control panel, and finally make sure it's plugged into the right output! (was the orange one at the top of the card on the old 5.1 series)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by dperrico
You need to get one of these. It works great on my Audigy 2.

Inline Adapter
I went out and got this adapter and hooked it into the Audigy, but I'm only getting two channels coming through the digital output when I play DVD movies. The analog connections work fine, though.

Can I not have both the analog and the digital cables coming out of the Audigy at the same time? I figured it was OK if the settings were correct in the software.

Unreleated issue --> I ran an ATI-based diagnostic on my 9600 non-pro, and it said that the soundcard (Audigy) voice sync clock was off by more than 2% -- I've notice varying degress of audio sync issues on DVD playback, from barely noticeable to 1-2 seconds. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Audigy2 card in one of the systems. If I remember correctly, you can't have both. But you could try this. Make sure that the DVD playback software is not decoding the AC3, such that AC3 is passed to the Audigy2. In Control Panel, click on AudioHQ. It actually allow you to select whether you want the sound card to decode AC3 or passthru the bit stream. I don't think you could check both options, but this will be the area to look into.

Joe

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
you have to configure the audigy to pass the spdif signal as well as the dvd player software; you want to pass the signal and not decode it...

the key with the mini-jack to rca plug is that it has to be mono, not stereo...i have shocked lately at how uninformed the employees at radioshacks are...they seem to know nothing except...do you want to buy a phone...do you want satellite tv...

what's the world coming too :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm all set on the 5.1 spdif now; the passthrough settings were correct, but one of the tests I was running was from Microsoft WMP9, which I'm assuming was pretty idiotic of me, as it can probably only send analog out to six channels, a la Coral Reef Adventure. Sorry, and thanks. (And yeah, the Radio Shack guy caused me an extra 3 hours of aggravation).

Anyone have any thoughts on testing the audio sync issue? Is there a good diagnostic to use, other than watching Frodo say "The Ring is growing heavy" 100 times?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.