AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of DIY. What I was wondering is how to connect the sub driver to the Amplifier if the Sub has a "positive and negative" connectors; the terminals also is "positive and negative" but the Power Amplifier (ie. BehrinhgerEP4000) has XLR/Phono Plugs?.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
you sound like you are talking about a home theater in a box type setup where the signal out of the main unit is amplified and sent to a passive subwoofer. i'm not sure how you could add an ep4000 and subwoofer to that setup.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20817695

you sound like you are talking about a home theater in a box type setup where the signal out of the main unit is amplified and sent to a passive subwoofer. i'm not sure how you could add an ep4000 and subwoofer to that setup.

Thats why Im asking. Many people here use Power Amplifier on the DIY Subwoofer Enclosures for Home Theater. I tried to find more info on this on the web without luck. All info I found was as for full-range speakers, or with mixers; etc; but not as HT.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
mpray, the problem may be that he doesn't even have rca outputs to begin with.

if there are no rca outputs, then the signal is being amplified out of the main unit right now. i'm not sure how to get an ep4000 into use with that setup.

one option is to find a plate amplifier that has "high level inputs" (these are speaker level inputs like you are probably using now).

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/20817664

I am in the process of DIY. What I was wondering is how to connect the sub driver to the Amplifier if the Sub has a "positive and negative" connectors; the terminals also is "positive and negative" but the Power Amplifier (ie. BehrinhgerEP4000) has XLR/Phono Plugs?.

You connect the sub driver to the black and red binding posts on the amp -- NOT to the XLR plugs. This is what the EP4000 looks like -- you will connect the sub to the "Binding Post Terminals":

You will also need to connect the line-level signal to the XLR or TRS inputs on the EP4000. What do you need to connect to? A home theater receiver? Something else? Tell us the make and model so we can look for information and pictures.

-Max

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/0

mpray, the problem may be that he doesn't even have rca outputs to begin with.

if there are no rca outputs, then the signal is being amplified out of the main unit right now. i'm not sure how to get an ep4000 into use with that setup.

one option is to find a plate amplifier that has "high level inputs" (these are speaker level inputs like you are probably using now).

I think he has an LFE output...but he just didnt know about the pos and neg terminals on the back of the ep4k because he probably saw a picture of it with the cover on it.

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Binding post terminals (as pictured). + to + , - to - .

Just make sure the hole through which the wires enter the enclosure are air tight.

Or use binding post terminals or Speakon (4 pole) connectors (this connection would mean a special cable from amp to sub.)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20818143

I think he has an LFE output...but he just didnt know about the pos and neg terminals on the back of the ep4k because he probably saw a picture of it with the cover on it.

Thanks Max for the info, and yes, this is going to be connected on the Subwoofer Pre-Out of my AVR Receiver. Is a Denon 3311CI. And yes Mpray; I didn't knew about the pos/neg terminals on the back of the EP4K. Thanks to all

Anything else I should have to know about it before connecting anything?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks, I used to use the speaker level to RCA all the time in car audio hook ups..

easiest way that I know of to hook up an amp to factory radio. (just pull signal off the rear speakers)

The RCA to xlr I picked up at a local musician supply store, I told him what I needed, and he gave me that...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well then, pass the crow, lol...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.