AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HD non-DVR box in my family room, and I want to connect my TIVO to it.

The problem is that when I'm running my HD signal from the HD Sat box, I have to do it directly into the TV. The TIVO doesn't have HD inputs.

Can I let the TIVO choose channels AND still use the HD signal from the Sat box?

Thanks in advance for any help...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackeyed
I have the HD non-DVR box in my family room, and I want to connect my TIVO to it.

The problem is that when I'm running my HD signal from the HD Sat box, I have to do it directly into the TV. The TIVO doesn't have HD inputs.

Can I let the TIVO choose channels AND still use the HD signal from the Sat box?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Does your sat box have standard outputs? (composite video or S-video)

Do the SD outputs put out a down converted signal when tuned to an HD channel?

If you can answer yes to both then you can use connect your TIVO to the SD outputs and it will work fine. But remeber it will NOT be recording in HD. You will need to get an HD TIVO for that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response: I am posting from work, I will check it out when I get home.

I believe the Tivo has S-video and composite outputs only.

The Satellite dealer tried to get me to sign up for HD DVR service, but since I won the Tivo box last year, I wanted to use it since it was free (except the service).

I understand that it will not record in HD, but since I only get 5 or so HD channels, no biggie.

I will check that out and re-post ASAP!

Slackeyed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the Tivo has S-vid, component, and coax outs.

When I output S-vid from the Tivo, I only get what's being inputted from the composite cables out of the Sat box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.