AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum Larry, but we're going to need a little more information.....

Do you use cable, OTA, DSS/DISH?

By component cables do you mean R/B/G or are you referring to a composite cable (generally yellow and labled video)?

And lastly which projector are you looking at? Most will accept a composite input, some only a RGBHV(or some variation) while other have s-video and other even have component inputs and other all of the above.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for responding plain fan, i will be using cable service not dish, i am going to use r/b/g cables and i am leaning towards a sony 1272 crt

thanks larry

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Larry,

Does your cable service, assuming you use a converter, support R/G/B? I've seen very few and normally these are the hidef boxes. I'm not 100% familiar with the 1272, I looked at it and went with a Barco 800G, but I don't believe it accepts component inputs, if this is what you are talking about.

Grady

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
plain fan, i was told i could use a vcr for t.v. , that's where i didn't know how to hook rgb to a vcr, also i don't know about the sony projector connections. how is your barco?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Larry,

How does your cable box output the signal to the TV? Does it have an RF output, coax run like for an antenna? Does it have a "video" output, usually this is shown as a yellow RCA type plug? Does it have a S-video output?

Let me know, and we'll go from there.

According to the following link for the 1272:
http://www.crtcinema.com/sonyspecs.html

the projector has a standard video input (composite), s-video, and RGB. It also shows that component is available with a separate board. Ideally you want to send your projector the best possible signal you can. The 1272 is a very popular model on this board, so you might also want to do a search for this type of projector.

I use directv so I send my projector the svideo output from the box. My DVD player has component out, but I send the projector the svideo signal from it as well. When I get my HTPC built I will send it the RGBHV signal from the video card.

Again, let me know about your cable box and we'll go from there.

Grady

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grady, i don't have a cable box yet. where i'm at is a new build house, a dedicated ht room 22x12, i built a platform 1 step high at the back of the room for the first row of seats, have it carpeted a real cool swirl pattern theater print and installed niles in-wall speakers. i am collecting info on the projector setup at this point. when i get a cable box , i'll come on the forum and ask more questions...

thanks larry

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ahh,

Knowing that you will want to use the best output offered by the box. Most of the new boxes offer svideo, so use that. You may even be able to get HDTV over cable in your area. If so you will definitely want to give that a shot on your projector. More than likely the HDTV output for the cable box would be component. You would need to get one of the component to RGB boxes to convert this to a form your projector would accept.

As for your DVD player either use the svideo or even better get the converter mentioned above to send the signal to your projector.

You may also want to look into getting at least a line doubler or a scaler for your projector. This will take the video and scale to a resolution you desire. The scaler will then output the signal to your projector using RGBHV. You could feed the scaler all of your video source and run a single cable to the projector.

If you are gathering information, learn to use the search command at the top of the page. There is a wealth of infomation on this board, from beginner to advanced topics. Also, read, read, read and read some more.

Let me know

Grady

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.