AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to be able to hook up my laptop.... However, my laptop only has a VGA output. What would be the best way to connect. Since the TV does not have a VGA input im assuming some sort of adapter might need to be used. Anyone had any luck connecting this way? What will i need to make this work?

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzbee2 /forum/post/20284239

I need to be able to hook up my laptop.... However, my laptop only has a VGA output. What would be the best way to connect. Since the TV does not have a VGA input im assuming some sort of adapter might need to be used. Anyone had any luck connecting this way? What will i need to make this work?

Sorry, but I believe that set does not have PC connectivity.

Ian

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same trouble. Returned the vga to hdmi converter for a new one, still doesn't work. It does work with a vga to composite converter, but I can't read the files so it's not quite so useful. I need the better resolution.

I'm surprised no one else is having issues with vga to hdmi for the TC-P50S1, it's a common plasma tv. I tried different cables, hdmi inputs, converters, resolution settings and still the black screen as though it is not receiving any signal. Maybe I need a high end converter?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holasfj /forum/post/20425583

I'm having the same trouble. Returned the vga to hdmi converter for a new one, still doesn't work. It does work with a vga to composite converter, but I can't read the files so it's not quite so useful. I need the better resolution.

A VGA-to-HDMI converter will not work because the HDMI input requires the device (your computer) to be HDCP compliant, but your VGA output is not HDCP compliant. And your Composite input is limited to 480i resolution so of course it's going to look like crap.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one else is having issues with vga to hdmi for the TC-P50S1, it's a common plasma tv.

Yes it's a TV, designed for use with external home theater devices. It is not a PC monitor and wasn't designed to be used as one.

Quote:
I tried different cables, hdmi inputs, converters, resolution settings and still the black screen as though it is not receiving any signal. Maybe I need a high end converter?

If you check your TV's operating manual, it has a chart listing the resolutions that each input will accept.

I connected my PC to my 1080p Panasonic Plasma's VGA input and it looked horrible. The VGA input is limited to 768p.

If you want to use an S1 as a PC monitor, you'll need your computer's video card to have an HDCP compliant HDMI output, and feed it a 1920x1080 signal. This usually looks very good on the screen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Any recommendation on a cheap, approx. $35 graphics card HDCP ready and HDMI output? My computer:

Dell GX280 2.8 GHz 750 Gb HDD 2 Gb RAM DVD/CD-RW New XP Pro Desktop PC

64bit

Intel Extreme Graphics integrated on the motherboard

It would be nice to see the files and such on the panasonic plasma, and maybe some downloaded movies with somewhat acceptable resolution.

I'm not looking for state of the art, just functional. I don't want to dump a lot of $$ into this.

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holasfj /forum/post/20430718

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendation on a cheap, approx. $35 graphics card HDCP ready and HDMI output?....

I looked into all this stuff last year and learned enough about to know the basic requirements to display my PC on my Plasma over HDMI, but i'm not up on the various HDMI/HDCP video cards on the market so i can't be on any help in that department. One i was looking at had two HDMI outputs so i could send a 1920x1080 signal to my desktop monitor and Plasma simultaneously.

I would look around on the HTPC forum and see what video cards the guys are using, and do some googling and check gaming forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this talk about HDMI connection.. I'm just looking to make a connection period. RCA, S-video... anything. Has anyone tried one of these methods?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts