Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Sorry for posting this again. There was a thread that was posted long time ago but I have been searching for two hours and can not find it.

I want to connect my "HTPC" to my AV receiver in order to get positional sound with games . I'm using the Sound Blaster Live Platinum and I remember that I have to connect each of the card outputs with split cables to the pre-amp or pre-in of the receiver (or something like that). Will you please tell me how to do it or point me to the post that discuss this?

TIA!!!

Best regards

Edil

·
Registered
357 Posts
You need to connect the digital out to the digital coax connection on your reciever. To do this you need to get a 2.5 mm stereo to phono plug. Then you just plug the phono wire from this into your reciever. Then turn on the digital connection in the advanced tab on the volume control and voila!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I presume that by 'positional sound' you mean EAX or similar? If so then you're right, you'll need to connect analogue cables, as no external amp is capable of decoding EAX signals, even if there was a soundcard which could export them.

I *believe* you'll need two simple 3.5mm (1/8"?) stereo to two phono type cables, one for the front L/R and one for the rear. You would need to plug these into the front/rear analogue innputs of a multi-channel amp. The centre and sub channels (of a 5.1 amp) would not be used.

I havn't actually tried it myslef, but I'm pretty sure thats all thats needed. You'd then need to activate EAX in whichever game, and set teh amp to read the external inputs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
How exactly does one get 5.1 positional game sound with an Audigy and a Reciever, though?

·
Registered
407 Posts
You would most importanntly need a game which encodeds its audio into 5.1 sound. The algorithms for DD 5.1 games are out, and I understand some games will be having it, but I don't know if any are out yet. These presumedly would do as any software DVD player would,a nd talk to teh soundcard, sending it either to SP/DIF out or to an internal decoding such as withing the SB 5.1

·
Registered
276 Posts
The thread you are talking about might be the one I started here

slobbie

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MANY MANY THANKS!!!

My apologies for not being more clear and specific.

As Nutcase_1uk points what I want is to pass the sound that came from the analog ports of the sound blaster to the receiver. Only few games, like Unreal Tournament, have limited options for spdif and/or digital connections. The majority of games use the internal "analog engine" of the card to send sound to the rear, center and sub Chanel's speakers.

Slobbie, the thread that you mention result to be more helpful than the one that I was looking for.

Best regards

Edil

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am currently using a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum with a surround receiver, what was discussed here is exactly right (the analog part). You need to get two(2) 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 RCA plug adapter. Available at nearly and Electronics store. You hook the output #1 of the Live! to the front left and right of the '5.1 input' or 'ext. decoder' input of your amp, and then the output #2 to the surround or rear connections on your amp. You then have to set the Live! up for 4 speaker sound, and you should probably also set Windows for Quadraphonic Speakers in the Advanced section of the Sounds and Audio Devices control panel.

If you have an Audigy, you can also use the Center and Sub inputs of your amp by connecting a third adapter cable from the C/S output of the card to the Center and Sub inputs of the Stereo.. I can't remember if the Left connection is the center or the sub, but try one way first, and then run the speaker test in Surround Mixer and if you're wrong, just switch them. In this case, set the Audigy for 5.1 speakers, and the same for Windows Control Panel.

These configurations provide excellent gaming sound, and also give great EAX enhanced music listening also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.