AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Sony SAT HD200 to receive DirecTV and local OTA analog and digital channels. The HD200 downloads Guide information from DirecTV for OTA (based upon zip code) and for DirecTV channels. The DirecTV guide has accurate information for all the OTA analog channels but we have 2 digital channels broadcasting in our area and the Guide has incorrect info for both. The DirecTV Guide lists one (ABC) incorrectly as 12.1 when it is actually on 20.1 and the other (CBS) is not listed at all. A channel search finds these channels but no programming information is listed on the Guide, it only shows "Regular Programming " in all time slots.

I have been trying without success to get DirecTV to fix this for six months. All they need to do is change the number for the ABC channel and copy the same info as the CBS analog channel for the other. I have sent numerous emails to DirecTV via the "feedback" link on their website but all their responses indicate they do not understand what I am talking about. Follow up emails do not help. They keep trying to tell me it is a problem with my equipment. I have tried calling customer service several times, also with no luck. I do not believe any CSR at DirecTV knows that it is possible to obtain OTA Guide information. Frankly, I am tired of trying to explain it to them.

Does anyone know who at DirecTV is responsible for this how and to contact them directly without going through a CSR? I would very much like to get this fixed so that I can delete all the extra analog and incorrect channels from my Custom Guide list and make my Guide much less cluttered.

In fairness to DirecTV, I also tried contacting the two local stations and they didn't know what I was talking about either.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I had success reporting the our local problems to http://www.zap2it.com/index/feedback/ who provides source data for DirecTV.

The zap2it folks responded within 24 hours to my email and said their database updates could take up to 48 hours.

Then, the corrected data is available to DirecTV for them to update their database that supports the Advanced Program Guide info for local OTA channels--both analog and digital.

The DirecTV effort took several weeks. Like you, I could never find anyone at DirecTV who even understood what I was talking about, much less anyone to take ownership of the problem and push it through to the responsible individual or organization.

Eventually, the fix came through. I actually received an email response from DirecTV customer service to tell me it was coming soon. On my Hughes HIRD-E86 receiver, I reset my local channel zip code (to the same code it was originally) and that forced receipt of a new satellite download of the zip code database in my receiver. THEN I saw the requested changes and all as been good since then.

To this day I have no idea who at DirecTV has the capability and responsibility to work these APG issues.

Good luck and be patient after you make contact with zap2it.

Oh, and I almost forgot to credit arxaw with knowing how to kick this process into action. There are some older threads in the HDTV local reception area that describe the long and painful process.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Below is a copy/paste from my Local Thread (Jacksonville,FL) that discusses one of these problems, check out the link after you have read the copy/paste info>

Hello everyone, some of you might remember a month or so about a couple of us on the forum talking about not getting the proper guide information from Channel 4-1, 30-1 and 47-1.

Well I was reading another section of the forum and ran across this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=250769

It seems that if the OTA channel id has a (-) in the guide then DirecTV is not able to display the proper guide information and if it doesn't have the (-) in the call letter the guides are correct (At least for the Hughes E86 and its clones).

>

about the mapping of your channels 12-1 to 20-1, are you getting the appropriate signal and programming just not the guide info? If so this might be due to the fact the station is remapping to that channel or from what I have read each receiver acts strange in this way and remaps channels differently. For instance in Jacksonville, everyone with a E86 gets our CBS affiliate on 47-1, but others get it on 19-2, no real explanation about why/ or how.

I will have to investigate the zap2it website myself, but I believe the issue is the dash (-) in the call letters, now if we only knew who produces/sends those call letters out - the local station OTA or DirecTV???

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure I understand the channel "mapping" issue, but I think that this channel simply decided to change the number of their digital broadcast. TitanTV, Antenna Web and other sources now list it as 20.1 instead of 12.1. Even the station's web site says 20.1.

I sent an email to Zap2it.com and hope that does some good. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Most stations have the ability to "map" their digital signal to any station number they desire or allowed.

In other words, here in Jacksonville our ABC is channel 25 (analog) but their digital channel number is 10, so in order to make it somewhat easier for the public, they remap their signal to 25-1, so if I typed in 10-1 on my receiver (Hughes E86) then it would change to 25-1, as long as the station has the "map" to function turned on.

Really not a big thing.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.