AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a problem with whatever WFLD is sending out in their transmission as it locks up Samung SIRTS160 receivers. I need to find out when the problem will be fixed so I can tell customers. If you turn it to 31-1 it locks up the entire receiver. Any help would be apprecieated

·
Registered
502 Posts
No, but I notice after the new FOX equipment was up and running the other day my Zenith 520 sees this channel as 480i or p and lets me scale the picture. It never used to let me do this. It would act as though it was 1080I. Is FOX being broadcast differently now? ( I know FOX only broadcasts 480P)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have T165 and it does not lock up, but it tries 31-1, comes back to 32-1, thinks about it for few seconds I guess and tunes in 32-1. I know there were some issues in transmission in last 48 hours which they are going to resolve in couple of days as fas as I know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually was able to create this up at our training facility. Samsung said it happened out in L.A. last week on another station. It sounds like it only happens on DirecTV boxes. We have had many many customer calls. I still have not heard back from Fox though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This exact problem occurs on my TS160 as well. The only way to get out of it is to disconnect the antenna, download guide data, and reconnect the antenna (but never tune to 32-1, or it locks again).

I called Samsung and they gave no resolution, but blamed the local broadcast network, which brings us back to the original question. How do we contact WFLD Chicago?

I noticed that Wednesday night the aspect ratio was all messed up (as it often was after football games)...

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Didn't this happen before and wasn't the problem with the PSIP generator?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is what the Samsung rep mentioned when I called yesterday...

If that is the case, what can we do to fix it? Who do we contact? How do we contact them?

Is there anyone at FOX that can tell us when it will be fixed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Same problem here. Totally locked up the Samsung 160. Called Fox and they know nothing about it and said nobody from engineering would be in until Monday. Please post when repaired so we can again tune to 32-1

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm getting WFLD-DT on 31-2. Aspect ratio is full screen 4X3 like 7-2 and 38-1 etc. Fox widescreen programming coming through as usual though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you using a Samsung SIR-TS160?? If so, how did you program that station?

asrermd - How did you get in touch with Fox?? That Samsung guy told me he was going to contact the local Fox affiliate...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mangriotis
Are you using a Samsung SIR-TS160?? If so, how did you program that station?

asrermd - How did you get in touch with Fox?? That Samsung guy told me he was going to contact the local Fox affiliate...
I just called the number in the book.. Anybody know anything new? I'm afraid to add the station and have to crawl around behind my set again!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just got off the phone with the maintenance department at WFLD (after having been transferred from the main line to central controls to maintenance).

He was aware they were having an issue. His explanation was that the broadcast signal generator to deliver signal to the Sears Tower went down and they are currently using substitute equipment that they know is inadequate.

I asked how long until resolution, and he said he hoped by Tuesday or Wednesday it would be fixed.

In case anyone else wants to call, the number is: 312-565-5532.

I guess it will stay out of my profile until at least Tuesday night.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the info. If you hear anything about when this is resolved, please post so that we all know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a SIR-T150 which locks up as well. I get out of the locked/rebooting mode by repeatedly pressing the channel up key and eventually it breaks out of the attempts to tune in WFLD.

·
Registered
144 Posts
To all,

I expect the HD encoder to be out until May 5 based on what the manufacturer told us. We are operating with a Standard Def 480i encoder in the meantime.

I am querying the manufacturer as to why everyone is having these basic reception problems with the temporary encoder. Other than the format change (to 480i) everything else should have remained the same. We're receiving it fine here at the studio with an antenna 43 floors up on the roof (that 650+ feet of RG-6 and no preamp).

Signal strength was not changed in this encoder swap, that is a function of the transmitter itself. The datastream out of the encoder should be valid, but it apparently is not accepted by some of the receivers out there.

I'll try and keep you posted when I change things.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you for the update Bob. Did the PSIP stream change? Samsung tuners seem to go into a rebooting/retuning mode when the PSIP information is erroneous.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a T150 (I think software version 1.8) and WFLD is currently the kiss of death to it. I've warned everyone in the family not to tune to channel 32.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bob..Thanks for the update. Please post when all is well. If anyone finds out why the Samsung dies and locks also let us know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone try it yet? I got a message from Samsung saying it will be back up today. However, I just tried and it still locked up my system. Any updates Bob???

Patiently waiting...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.