Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I recently installed a Directv system in my home, and am using a Hughes E86 STB. Prior to this instalation I had digital cable, and a Philips Tivo. I would like to use that same Tivo to do my recording, but seem unable to find a way for the Tivo to change channels on the Hughes STB. I am aware that Tivo will not record in High Def, I simply want to be able to record from channels like Speed and Tech TV, ect.... Is there some secret to setting up the Tivo to be able to communicate with the Hughes box? I had no problem controlling the digital cable box that I previously used.

Any help woul dbe greatly appreciated. I woul dliek to avoid having to go out and buy a new Direct-Tivo system if I can.

Michael

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The only way would be with the IR dongle.

BTW E86 wont output SD/HD at the same time, so if you forget to switch back to SD the tivo wont get anything.

I bougt a GACEBO D* reciver when I bought my E86 to keep from having this problem......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that comes with the Tivo, that is what I was using to control my digital cable set top box. It does not seem to be recognized by the E86.

Now, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "GACEBO D* reciver"?

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
First off, Michael, I think you have to go into the setup menu of Tivo and tell it what kind of box, ie. cable, satellite,etc. that you want to control with the IR dongle, as differnet kind of boxes use different types of IR commands.

BTW I would think that Tivo will only transmit the IR codes for the 1st remote address only. If you are familiar with this, Hughes offers up to 8 different remote control address that use slightly differnet setups so 2 recivers in the same room wont have a cross-talk problem with the remotes.

GACEBO is a mistake on my part, should have been GCEBO which is the model number of a Hughes reciver, also know as the "Executive Director" which means nothing, except it has digital audio out.

D* is short-hand used around here and other places to mean Directv.

E* means Echostar or Dishnetwork.

I hope this helps, any other questions just ask and someone will surely help you...........................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.