AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Lutron Grafik Eye units in my house (that I installed) and now I'd like to be able to control them using my iPhone. I see that Lutron just released an iPhone/iTouch application that controls their Homeworks products but I'm not really clear on the components of a Homeworks system or how the system is configured. The Lutron website doesn't have anything that describes the configuration of a Homeworks system. It seems like it involves a central processing unit with home runs from each of the switches and devices (i.e. lights, shades, etc.). This wouldn't work for me since my Grafik Eye units are already wired to the lights. Is there a way to incorporate the Homeworks control module with my existing Grafik Eye units (via the Lutron control cable connection on the Grafik Eyes)? .

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Unfortunately, you will need a P5 generation Lutron HomeWorks processor to act as the communication intermediary between the GRAFIK Eye units and the iPhone application. The basic H4P5-120 processor runs about $1400 list. The processor would have to be wired directly to the GRAFIK Eye units via a 4-wire Lutron communication link. The GRAFIK Eye units would also have to be of the GRX-IA- or GRX-MR- variety supported by HomeWorks, which I'm doubtful the units you have are, given that they were purchased standalone. This is obviously a long answer to your question.

Short answer: Nope.

-Sean

·
Registered
194 Posts
SweetSpot- Do you think Lutron will ever make the GrafikEye QS compatibale with HomeWorks or RadioRA? Or upgrade the basic GrafikEyes to have the much better styling of the QS so their product lines match?

Didn't go to CES and couldn't ask- not that they would say.

-Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SweetSpot, thanks for the quick response. Since posting my message I did a little more research online. I also called Lutron tech Support. I was told that the 3100 series Grafik Eye's (which I have) are considered "IA" series and that they are compatible with the Homeworks controllers. The 3500 series GE's are considered "MR" series. The HW controllers can only control the scenes of IA series GE's. The HW coontrollers can control inidividual zones of MR series GE's. In both cases, as you said, the HW controller is connected to the GE via the 4-conductor Lutron cable. I assume the guy I spoke to knew what he was talking about.

I also found an excellent Homeworks technical bulletin on the Lutron website that describes system configuration, components, etc. I plan on readng it to further educate myself. It's 200 pages so I have a lot of reading to do!

Thanks again for your quick/detailed response! Any additional thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks- The new Single Room RadioRa system (and AuroraRA) give the impression that RadioRA is being dumbed down; I wonder if they will replace whole home RadioRA with HomeWorks.

I already have a RadioRa system and am about to renovate my home. I was originally planning to add a Chronos and more switches but that offering is beginning to look stale with the new single room controller feturing ethernet capability. So I'm beginning to wonder if purchasing a pair of GrafikEyeQS controllers is a better investment for the main living areas... Unless you want to bridge systems (and I don't) the Chronos isn't looking like a very good value. Plus, if your system is that large HomeWorks probably makes more sense anyway.

I'm hoping Lutron will add ethernet to the Chronos and provide a RadioaRA version of the QS device, or at least an interface. I'm just wondering why they wouldn't announce this at CES if it was coming soon.

Let us know if you hear anything and thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
645 Posts
Isn't adding ethernet to Chronos easy enough already? I mean, all it takes is a call to CQC and the $600 for their software package, or a Crestron QM-RMC, or a HomeTroller, etc... Further, aren't there like 40 thousand different "free" home automation software startups out there right now. I'm pretty sure all of them talk to RA, its one of the standards in the space.

I personally don't find the addtion of QS to be that compelling either. Its the same shading product with a new wire. What was wrong with the old stuff? Worked great IMO.

What I do find very interesting, I'd even call it game changing, is RadioRA SR. Single room solutions, remote control interfaces all worked out, for the same pricing as Grafik Eye. Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Grafik was the best home theater lighting controller, now they've made it 100 times better. No more extra deep masonry boxes and extension rings that nobody has in stock, no more wire fill problems, no stupid low voltage connection that won't stay put, no messy NEC code discussions, direct control from IR and Rf and ethernet control systems, replacing 4 gangs with SeeTouch style single gang keypads. I think I have died and gone to lighting control heaven.

jcmitch

·
Registered
986 Posts
Radio RA SR has a capacity of 10 devices, great for a media room. I was hoping they would have come in at a lower price point but it didn't. It does have Sivioa interface capabilities though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts