AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm answering this very common FAQ here in it's own thread so that I can bookmark it and send people here when the question arises again, as I'm pretty sure it will!

If you have just bought your second Replay you will have just discovered that they both respond to each other's remotes. This is true regardless of which brand or model of unit you have.

The quick and simple way to handle this is to use the "power toggle method". To use this method you need to always leave one of the Replays turned on, then when you want to switch from one unit to the other, you press the POWER button.

If you want to re-program the Replay remotes so that they only work one of the units or work each unit independantly, you will need JP1 . JP1 does not work on the 4k series remotes, but it does work on the 2k, 3k, 5k and Showstopper remotes. You can either make yourself a JP1 cable for next to nothing, or you can buy one ready made from $14 from www.hovisdirect.com and http://jp1.filebug.com .

The JP1 upgrade is pre-prepared and can be found in the file section of the JP1 Yahoo group . (You will need to join the Yahoo group to get the files, but we don't use it for messages anymore as we now have our own JP1 Forum . All you need to do to make it unit specific is change the unit code in the KM spreadsheet (you can also use the Java program RM to do this).

The following document shows you just how easy it is to load an upgrade into your remote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

If you have a Philips Pronto you can program it using the Pronto's built in RC-6a codes and again you can change the unit code there in Pronto Edit. There are probably ccf files already created for Replay with different unit codes programmed, so check the file section at Remote Central .

For the older units, ie, the 2k and 3k series and Showstoppers, once you have programmed your remotes, you will need to re-boot the Replay units and then, once they have re-booted, make sure that the first IR signal they see has the correct unit code in it. (Obviously, you will need to make sure that both units cannot see the IR signals when you do this). Also, please remember, that even though the units will now respond to the selected unit codes, they will both still respond to the regular IR signal, so if you use a 4k series remote, for example, both units will still respond to it.

For the non-Sutter units, ie, the 4k and 5k series, there is a new screen that you access by selecting Setup, then typing 243+ZONES on the remote, full SonicBlue instructions below...

Quote:
If you have multiple ReplayTV 4000s or a ReplayTV 4000 and a legacy unit in the same room, there are two ways to lock the 4000 so it doesn't accept commands from the remote. On the Remote Lockout Screen, you'll find a Remote Lockout Code and a Remote Machine Code. You can use either of these options to restrict which ReplayTV responds to the remote you're using. You will need to restart the ReplayTV after saving changes to the Remote Machine Code setting.

Option 1: Remote Lockout Code

If you have more than one ReplayTV 4000s, you can number your ReplayTV 4000s from 101 to 109. Then, you can use the sequence 10x + Replay Zones on your remote to lock out all units EXCEPT the one matching # x.

For example, if you have a ReplayTV 4000 set to 101 and a legacy unit, you could lock the 4000 by hitting 105 + Replay Zones. 105 + Replay Zones tells the remote to issue the lockout command to all ReplayTV 4000s except #105. This has the effect of locking out #101-104 and #106-109.

To set the Remote Lockout Code:

Press Menu on your remote

Choose Setup.

Press 243 + Replay Zones on your remote

Use the UP or Down arrows keys to select Remote Lockout Code

Choose the Remote Lockout Code # (101 - 109) using the Left or Right arrow keys

Choose Save these settings.

Restart.

How do I tell the ReplayTV 4000 is locked out?

When you press the Remote Lockout Code + Replay Zones, the power light flashes twice quickly and then stops. This is repeated until the ReplayTV is unlocked. If you select a locked out ReplayTV unit, there will also be a Please Wait image on your television, but if you select the unit that has been un-locked you will see a regular Replay screen.

Option 2: Remote Machine Code - 3rd Party Universal Remote

If you have a Pronto, JP1 remote or other advanced (PC programmable remote), you can set the machine code that the ReplayTV 4000 responds to. The ReplayTV 4000 will always response to machine code 0 in addition to whatever code you specify on the Remote Lockout Screen.

To set the Remote Machine Code:

Press Menu on your remote

Choose Setup.

Press 243 + Replay Zones on your remote

Use to Up or Down arrow keys to select Remote Machine Code

Choose the Remote Machine Code # (1 thru 15) using the Left or Right arrow keys

Choose Save these settings

Restart
If it would be simpler for you to just buy a universal remote with multiple ReplayTV codes pre-programmed, drop me a line and I'll supply you with one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
On the Replay, go to the Setup menu, and hit 243-ReplayZones to get the remote lockout codes set.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For Pronto NEO/RC3200 users, I'm currently working on my setup, and I should have an NCF available in a few weeks that will control device codes 1 and 2. Check this thread, as I'll post in here when it's done.

I also have a plain-jane CCF (no bitmaps, just plain buttons) with complete RC6a codes for device codes 1 and 2 (I'm using this to convert to NCF) that I'd be happy to share with anyone who wants it. PM me with your email and I'll send it your way.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
For all you MX-700 users, I posted a .MXD file at Remote Central which allows you to control two 3K series Replays independently.

Here is a link .

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE TOGGLE

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh Lizard, how unimaginative! You know, I figured by making this thread a sticky you'd never spot it, but you out-foxed me again! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I prefer to have distinct power toggle for each of my units so that I can turn each on or off individually. I like having both my Replays OFF when I'm not using them.

I have two units, so I set one as unit code 1 and the other as unit code 2, then I just used JP1 to make the power button send power-toggle-unit-code-1 and shift-power to send power-toggle-unit-code-2. Power-toggle-unit-code-0 is no longer mapped to any button on the remote.

I did this by creating two new devices in the remote, one using unit code 1 and the other using unit code 2 (this is in addition to the existing device that uses unit code 0). Then I used key moves to put the power button from unit code 1 on the power button, and the power button from unit code 2 on the shift-power button. I did not map either of these new devices to a device button.

This way I can turn each unit on or off individually without having to worry about the two units getting out of sync as they might with the one unit off-one unit on method.

Once the unit is turned on (and the other off), it responds to the rest of the buttons on the remote (which still use unit code 0).

If I leave both units on, they both respond to the remote, since the rest of the buttons are still using unit code 0, and all Replays always responds to that code. So I make sure that I only have one unit on at a time.

I did not map the two new devices to separate device buttons on the remote (i.e.: have one mode where all buttons send unit 1 codes and another mode where all buttons send unit 2 codes) because I have already used all the device buttons on my remote for other equipment, otherwise I may have just done that instead.

This method should also work if you have more than two units in the same room, just create new device codes (using unit code 3, 4, 5, etc.) and map the power button for each to one of the buttons on your remote.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I have too many devices to use up two device buttons for Replay, I have the generic unit-0 code programmed to a device button, then I created seperate buttons with unit specific discrete power codes that I use in macros to control which Replay is on at any given time (along with switching my video selector to make sure that i can "see" the right Replay.

In my setup, the unit-0 POWER button would serve no purpose, so I disabled it. To make it remain useful, I re-programmed it to work the video selector's POWER function. I use the unit-0 Discrete Off as part of my "turn everything of" macro.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Power Toggle method works great, but it is kind of a hassle. I have a 2001 and a 5040 in the same room, and when I power on the 5040, it pretty much instantly comes on. When I power on the 2001, I have to wait for it to "spin up" before it can be used. Not a big deal, but it does cause a delay.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
When I was doing the power toggle thing, I took advantage of the delay in my 3030 coming up (compared to my 4080). Enter the room, with both units shut off. Hit the power toggle once, the 4080 springs to life and the 3030 begins crawling. Hit the power toggle before the 3030's done, and now I have one on and the other off.

So, I go from both off to one on/one off state in a matter of seconds, all from the comfort of my viewing chair.

(Since then, I've programmed my MX-700 with device specific codes only - no unit 0 on that thing.)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Can't you "DISABLE DISK SPINDOWN" in the clawfoot portal on the 2001?

This should eliminate the delay. Search for "SPINDOWN" in the ReplayTV FAQ for more information. Perhaps this doesn't work on the pre-3000 series?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
It works just fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Space
Can't you "DISABLE DISK SPINDOWN" in the clawfoot portal on the 2001?

This should eliminate the delay. Search for "SPINDOWN" in the ReplayTV FAQ for more information. Perhaps this doesn't work on the pre-3000 series?
Space,

I believe that toots was utilizing this behavior difference to her favor, in that she could leave both boxes turned off and get to a state where the toggle method worked, by going through her steps. This allowed her to not have to leave one unit turned on all the time, as would normally be the case for folks using the toggle method.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedg01
Space,

I believe that toots was utilizing this behavior difference to her favor, in that she could leave both boxes turned off and get to a state where the toggle method worked, by going through her steps. This allowed her to not have to leave one unit turned on all the time, as would normally be the case for folks using the toggle method.
Yes, I understood, my comment was in response to jbarr's complaint. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
If you want to re-program the Replay remotes so that they only work one of the units or work each unit independantly, you will need JP1 . JP1 does not work on the 4k series remotes, but it does work on the 2k, 3k, 5k and Showstopper remotes. You can either make yourself a JP1 cable for next to nothing, or you can buy one ready made from $18 from www.hovisdirect.com and http://jp1.filebug.com .

The JP1 upgrade is pre-prepared and can be found in the file section of the JP1 Yahoo group. All you need to do to make it unit specific is change the unit code in the KM spreadsheet.
Well, there is a lot of info there, but it's not quite a "no-brainer". However, it isn't that tough if you just sit down and digest it all...Well, to make it a bit easier, here is what I did (with the files included)..I will also post them up to the JP1 files area. Note: I bought the cable...I was just too damm lazy to get out the old soldering iron, and got to RS to get the parts...the materials were very well made, and came within a few days.

Then I started to really try to digest all the material on the JP1 site, and it took me a while to get the hang of it, decipher how to use the IR program, and KM to create the macros/mappings, etc. Now, I did take the more complex route or trying to use the extender to load both "unit" codes into a single remote, etc. But the effort was worth it...I can now turn either one on/off at will, and also even switch the input on the TV if I need to do something directly on the machine (as opposed to the network)...

So, here are the steps...READ through the material on the site, and at least be familiar with it. Sign up for the Yahoo area, and get the programs, the extender, etc. After getting all of the files/programs, etc. extracted, use the IR.exe program to make sure you can "talk" to the remote.

Start by loading in a clean copy of the extender text file (into IR). At this point, you should be able to upload it, and have it work (no device specific stuff yet). At this point, it will just do the replay and the TV as separate items...(you may have to set the right TV code in IR)...

NOW, on to the "fun stuf"...Use the keymaster program to load in the Replay_TV-5000 file, and as suggested, adjusted the unit codes. I went back to the "official" REPLAY codes, since that seemed to make more sense to me...It also avoids having to patch the protocol, and you can just create updated "devices".

I had to make a few corrections to the mappings - (i.e. there is no commercial advance, it's now the "input" button), and I'm not sure if it was because I was using the latest/greatest version so KM and IR, but on the whole it was pretty easy. One at a time, I changed the device code as well as used a new device code number - i.e. I left the 1614 default alone, and create two new devices: for unit one (1615) and unit two.(1616)

As I did each one, I pasted it into the IR program. Double check the macros and set these devices (in the main screen) so that they are used for the "replay" and which ever other device you will map for replay number 2 (cable sat, vcr, etc.) Remember to changed theunit numbers using the 243Zones in the setup screen...and you should be "good to go"...

After testing this to make sure it worked, I even got brave enough to create a sony mapping and loaded that in for the TV...Given the excellent Docs on the JP1 site, it was actually easy! On the whole I am TOTALLT AMAZED that people have figured out all this JP1 stuff...THANKS, and I hope these files help.

Scott

scotts_rptv5k_for two units.zip 5.1884765625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Welcome to JP1. It's amazing what you can do with these remotes.

The Sony TVs have discrete input select codes for input1...inputN,

so if you want to make things even more no-brainer, add the discrete

input codes to your Sony TV KM device upgrade and in the macros

for device selection (shift-1, shift-2, shift-3). After you do this, when

you select the device, the TV is switched to the correct input automatically.

Consider creating a macro for "Shift-Power" to "Power everything off"

The Replay's and Sony TV all have "discreteOff" functions which you

can add using KM. Then create a macro for the Shift-Power button which

goes through each device and invokes the "discreteOff" function.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.