AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the means to build a HTPC in the HT, but I can easily run cables to it. I'd like to run 50 feet of DVI/HDMI and digital coaxial from my bedroom PC to my HT in my basement. I'd set it up so the TV would act a secondary monitor. I'd just hook up the cables to my PC when I want to watch something in my HT. However, I don't know how I can control the mouse to launch the media files, pause, stop etc. I though the best option would be run a long USB extension cable to the room, and get a wireless mouse, and use the mouse on my lap, but apparently the maximum of USB length is 16.5 feet.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Eric, I use a Nokia 770 and VNC to control my HTPC over wi-fi. It works pretty well. Double-clicking is sort of an adventure, but I set up my media folders as toolbars on the taskbar and that works very well. I'm sure something like a tablet pc would work better than my 770, but 770's are pretty cheap (less than $200 on ebay). VNC certainly gives you complete control, but I wouldn't dream of training in my wife on it. If I ever get around to installing some sort of front-end software maybe she could figure it out.

Edit: I've heard of people having decent luck with USB-over-Ethernet baluns. I've been thinking of giving that a try as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Be sure to total up all the parts required before you make a decision. You may find that a year old MCE PC on sale at a big box store will give you satisfactory performance and much greater flexibility for not much more money than all the cables and adaptors you'll need to use a KVM 50' away. If usb can't go the distance, you may be able to run PS2 that far.

~Jay

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
How would you get the computer to switch displays without a mouse or without being able to see the other monitor?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
How about a laptop or tablet and numerous remote access programs including built-in XP/Vista, VNC or z2 Remote2PC?

Or PDA using xlobby thru the inet or z2 PDA client?

I am not going to elaborate.

Research and you'll be gratified.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M /forum/post/0

Be sure to total up all the parts required before you make a decision. You may find that a year old MCE PC on sale at a big box store will give you satisfactory performance and much greater flexibility for not much more money than all the cables and adaptors you'll need to use a KVM 50' away. If usb can't go the distance, you may be able to run PS2 that far.

~Jay

Haha. Problem solved. PS2 can go up to 50m. I just need 15m/50feet.

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm really cheap. 50feet of PS2 and coaxial are 10 bucks each at monoprice, and DVI/HDMI is around $40 for that length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/0

How would you get the computer to switch displays without a mouse or without being able to see the other monitor?

I'd bring my PC in the HT once, get everything working, and save it as a profile. Then in the future, I'd hook the TV cable up the computer, load that profile, and use it from the other room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts