AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting the arrival of a DVD burner for my PC, the LG GMA-4040B. This burner writes to DVD-R,-RW,+R,+RW, and DVD-RAM.

As an event videographer, I give the finished video on a DVD-R produced from a Panny HS2. Sometimes the client complains that my DVD-R is incompatible with their home player.

Is there a way for me to make a DVD+R for the client in the PC DVD burner, starting with either an HS2 produced DVD-R or DVD-RAM?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
As an event videographer, I surmise that you have a decent camcorder.

My workflow does not go from DVD to DVD. I output my edited master video back to my camcorder so that I have archival mini-DV tapes of both the source and final output.

I can then firewire the camcorder into any DVD Recorder (or other device).

I'm currently using a Powerbook G4 and use Final Cut Pro 4 to print-to-video a mini-DV archival master.

If the client wants DVD-R, I burn it on the Apple (Pioneer) superdrive.

If the client wants DVD+R, I firewire it from the mini-DV archival master to a burn using my Philips DVDR985 DVD+R.

The advantage is that, as output formats change, I have a (decent) archival master.

The disadvantage is that if I, for example, do complex authoring in DVD Studio Pro, the Philips won't recognize an authored stream (and I haven't tackled getting an authored stream onto mini-DV, but I likely will soon).

Don't you just love format wars? We got the term: to be BETAMAXed is where superior marketing wins out over superior technology: BETA vs. VHS.

It keeps me in business, but is that what I really want to do with my time?...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Goldberg
Is there a way for me to make a DVD+R for the client in the PC DVD burner, starting with either an HS2 produced DVD-R or DVD-RAM?
It should be simplicity using the old standby DVD Decrypter (google for it).

1- put DVD-R disc in the multi-format burner

2- make an ISO to your harddrive (which gives you a backup)

3- write the ISO BACK to a +R disc..

should work (I know I've gone the other way.. read a +R to an ISO and rewrite to a -R disc)

·
Registered
651 Posts
yep, that would be the quick way to go.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would agree too. Dvd decrypter is free and all do is make an iso image on your hard drive and then burn the iso image on the dvd+r disc, which dvd decrypter will also do. I belive you go under one of the menus and find "iso" and choose "iso read" then when the image is on your hard drive go to "iso" and click on "iso write" and that should burn an exact copy for you. Else, tell your client to buy a new dvd player :)

Here's a link to dvd dercypeter. Go to link -->downloads-->under "descrambling and ripping tools is dvd decrypter. Post if you need help.

http://www.doom9.org/

·
Registered
976 Posts
Stomp Record Now can also do this. In fact I went recently from a dvd-r burned on a Panny E80 to a dvd+r burned on an HP writer. The option is disc to disc copy (the dvd reader on the PC can be an ordinary dvd-rom drive). You can make one or more copies, and it's automated enough that even a secretary can figure it out. (In a corporation, dvd decrypter is verboten, not for its legal uses, but its illegal applications, i.e., cracking CSS and disabling macrovision. Otherwise, I'd recommend it for your office).

Going in reverse is not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. That's because the capacity of a dvd+r is slightly higher than a dvd-r. But, unless you fill the +r disc to the hilt, it's copacetic.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
As an event videographer, I surmise that you have a decent camcorder.
I use a SONY VX-1000. Its not the best, but its perfect for Bar Mitzvahs and small weddings.

FYI, I just got my LG 4040B but DVD Decrypter can't finish the ripping process due to many Sector Read Errors. I wonder if the PRINCOs I've used are the culprit?

As soon as I'm able to fully Decrypt a DVD-R, I'll try cloning to both a DVD-R and a DVD+R and I'll report back.

I can't tell whether the LG 4040B accommodates a cartridge DVD-RAM. I don't have a cartridge DVD-RAM and the included documentation doesn't mention it. The unit comes bundled with one bare DVD-RAM.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Quote: "Sometimes the client complains that my DVD-R is incompatible with their home player." and

" I wonder if the PRINCOs I've used are the culprit?"

I think you answered your own question.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. I took a DVD-R made on an HS-2 and made an ISO image on my PC using an LG GSA-4040B drive and DVD-Decrypter freeware.

I then burned the iso image back to the 4040B using DVD-Decryper and a blank DVD+R. The DVD+R burned flawlessly and the new +R clone plays in my set-top player.

Using the 4040B Superdrive along with DVD-Decrypter is a quick and easy way to convert DVD-R to DVD+R.

Jeff

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Using the 4040B Superdrive along with DVD-Decrypter is a quick and easy way to convert DVD-R to DVD+R.
Look into DVDShrink as well, it's another free DVD ripping program. I've used this countless times with my 4040 along with CloneDVD to burn the discs.

Quote:
I can't tell whether the LG 4040B accommodates a cartridge DVD-RAM.
No it doesn't.

There's a new firmware for the drive, version a300. You can download it from the LG Service website, it's listed under CD-RW. (?)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ArthurL
Look into DVDShrink as well, it's another free DVD ripping program. I've used this countless times with my 4040 along with CloneDVD to burn the discs.
Why mess with two different programs when one (DVD Decrypter) will do both the ripping and burning???

·
Registered
261 Posts
I guess I just didn't give Decrypter a chance. I've seen many posts over at DVDR Help asking how to fit/backup a dual layered DVD onto a 4.3GB disc. CloneDVD is so simple because it compresses the data for you to fit on the disc; three clicks and you're done!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
aaahhhhhh Grasshopper.. that's the problem.. yes, for the necessity of making a 7 lb weight fit a 4.7 lb sack, DVDShrink, CloneDVD, et.al. are worthy tools..

but for a simple 4.7gb DVD-R/+R clonage, DVDDecrypter will do it QUICKER and cleaner...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ArthurL

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't tell whether the LG 4040B accommodates a cartridge DVD-RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it doesn't.

There's a new firmware for the drive, version a300. You can download it from the LG Service website, it's listed under CD-RW. (?)
ArthurL,

Could you please post the link or otherwise make it legible? I've not been able to locate the new firmwire upgrade.

And by the way, are you implying that with the firmwire upgrade the GSA-4040B will support RAM carts?

Thanks.

duwdu

·
Registered
261 Posts
 Here's the link to the latest firmware. Choose Device Driver and then CD-RW.

Quote:
And by the way, are you implying that with the firmwire upgrade the GSA-4040B will support RAM carts?
No, sorry about that, that was just me rambling on. In order for it to accomodate RAM carts the drive would need a whole new drawer assembly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the original video is not copyrighted movie material, why can't he just copy the VIDEO_TS directory from the DVD-R disc to HD, then burn directly to DVD+R? Did I miss something here?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wizargoz
If the original video is not copyrighted movie material, why can't he just copy the VIDEO_TS directory from the DVD-R disc to HD, then burn directly to DVD+R? Did I miss something here?
Yup..

the disc format on the DVD-R is NOT the same as the format on the HD (FAT32, NTFS). It's UDF 2.0 (IRRC) and just 'copying' won't work very well..

·
Registered
39 Posts
This forum has been great in helping solve Panny e80 problems. But I've encountered a phenomenon I haven't seen mentioned before.

Converting from DVD-R to +R with DVDDeCrypter seems to work for me ONLY if the original disk is NOT recorded using FR mode. Disks recorded in XP and SP convert to ISOs fine, but all of my disks dubbed using FR result in creation of TWO files by DVDDeCrypter, with extensions like I0O and IO1, and they do not properly re-record to a +R disk.

Anyone else had a similar experience? I like the ability of FR mode to optimize the bit rate to fill the disk, I presume yielding better quality.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You're either

a) writing your disc image to a FAT32 drive and slipped over the 4gb mark

b) in DVD Decrypter, under TOOLS / SETTINGS / ISO MODE / FILE SPLITTING have it set to some other value than NONE

Since you are using a disc in FR mode, I suspect you've fallen over the 4gb mark on a FAT32 drive. (a full disc is 4.37gb)

neither of these are fatal errors.

if you want to above this in the future, you need to be putting your ISO image to an NTFS drive -and- set the FILE SPLITTING to NONE.

however, if that's not possible, then --

Depending on which version of DVD Decrypter you have, you will have the I00 and I01 files -and- -either- a .DVD (old version) or .MDS (newer versions) file with the same name.

when burning the file BACK with DVD Decrypter, USE THE DVD/MDS file as the source and all will be well. (MDS = Media Descripter). You'll have to use that when it splits the file.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.