AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance if this is noobie question, but I have a PC in my dedicated home theater room and was wondering if there's a software application that allows me to use my existing PC as a sophisticated universal remote control. Obviously I'll need some hardware device that plugs into the PC to act as the IR/RS232 emitter as well. Does anyone know of such a package?


Am trying to avoid shelling out 1,000 bucks on something like a Philips Pronto TSU9600. (And no, my PC does not have a touch screen so I recognize it's not really apples to apples.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,412 Posts
You could look at something like NetRemote . But it's usually more trouble than it's worth. Do you really need some like that pronto, or do you just want something cool? What features do $1k+ remotes have that you can't live without? Usually, there are plenty of less expensive remotes that get the job done just fine. For the cool factor, you may even like some of the ipod touch solutions out there (check out the threads here).


Having said that, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've used my laptop, pocketpc and even my calculator as a remote in the past. I even wrote my own X10 remote program for pocketpc from scratch. But after I was done playing, I always went back to a real remote because those solutions always came up short (not very convenient to keep a laptop running 24/7 just to turn on the tv).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/18209398


You could look at something like NetRemote . But it's usually more trouble than it's worth. Do you really need some like that pronto, or do you just want something cool? What features do $1k+ remotes have that you can't live without? Usually, there are plenty of less expensive remotes that get the job done just fine. For the cool factor, you may even like some of the ipod touch solutions out there (check out the threads here).


Having said that, I totally understand where you're coming from. I've used my laptop, pocketpc and even my calculator as a remote in the past. I even wrote my own X10 remote program for pocketpc from scratch. But after I was done playing, I always went back to a real remote because those solutions always came up short (not very convenient to keep a laptop running 24/7 just to turn on the tv).

Hmm, not sure NetRemote really gets at what I'm looking to do. I have a desktop computer in my home theater room, which I'd like to use as mission control, if you will, to control my DVD player, preamp, cable box, etc. Effectively I just need a piece of software and an IR emitter , right? No need for another remote control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,412 Posts
Oh I see now. The pronto reference threw me. You don't want a PC based remote to be your only universal remote. You just want your PC to be able to control your home theater stuff. In that case, WinLIRC / LIRC and a USB-UIRT should do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/18212541


Oh I see now. The pronto reference threw me. You don't want a PC based remote to be your only universal remote. You just want your PC to be able to control your home theater stuff. In that case, WinLIRC / LIRC and a USB-UIRT should do the trick.

Yes! That looks like it should do the trick. I'm not terribly programming literate. Do you know of anyone who's already created a good home theater interface for this device?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushM3 /forum/post/18212999


Yes! That looks like it should do the trick. I'm not terribly programming literate. Do you know of anyone who's already created a good home theater interface for this device?

I have no idea. I've been going the opposite direction, trying to get my HTPC out of the picture except as a file server.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
A few other options :


- you can buy a cheap IR receiver at DealExtreme. See http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26368 I have one of those, and it does not need a driver. It behaves like a keyboard. You can even control the mouse with it. But you can't program the keys.


- I also have an IRMan IR receiver (google IRMan). Then you have full control over the remote control. Either you program yourself (reading the serial port is not that hard) or you use a freeware tool.


- If IRMan is too expensive you can try to make your own. A very good explanation can be found here : http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/


Soitjes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Ok, should have read the thread a bit more closely. You're looking for an emitter, not a receiver.



Then I can suggest http://www.home-electro.com/buy_it.php . Only 49$, still not that expensive. It can be extended in different locations.


Soitjes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soitjes /forum/post/18220573


Ok, should have read the thread a bit more closely. You're looking for an emitter, not a receiver.



Then I can suggest http://www.home-electro.com/buy_it.php . Only 49$, still not that expensive. It can be extended in different locations.

Yes, that emitter also looks like what I'm looking for. BUT, I'm also looking for a software platform for it that's already been created, that is to say nothing I need to code myself. Are you aware of anything like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top