AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to use 1x4 Poplar wood all around the outside for my 110 inch screen. However, I'm confused on how to get support bracing within the frame without the possibility of it sticking out on the screen material. Are people using a method or slimmer piece of wood that I don't know about? Thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts
You simply make the outside Frame be "On edge" using selected 1" x 2"s and the interior 1" x 4" supports on the Flat. Use at least 3 interior supports and yoy Frame will be solid and very rigid.

Or, using a 1/4" spacer, set the Flat 1x4 back from the front edge 1/4" and pre-drill then screw in at Top & Bottom.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1524510/how-to-create-inset-vertical-supports-using-1x4-poplar-as-my-outside-frame#post_24535925

You simply make the outside Frame be "On edge" using selected 1" x 2"s and the interior 1" x 4" supports on the Flat. Use at least 3 interior supports and yoy Frame will be solid and very rigid.

Or, using a 1/4" spacer, set the Flat 1x4 back from the front edge 1/4" and pre-drill then screw in at Top & Bottom.

Ok, I think I'm following you but I'm getting a little lost at the same time. Are you saying to use 1x2 for my outside frame all the way around, and then use 1x4 in the flat position for the bracing? If so, this is where I get lost. Won't I then have very little showing for my outside frame if it's only 2 inches wide? It seems that the border would look rather small if the outside frame is not "flat" as opposed to "on edge". This is where I'm losing you....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts