AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read over the several threads having to do with banana plugs and I have decided to go cheap with the crimp on type. In the past, whenever I have tried to crimp anything, the connection always seemed to come loose. If I crimped too tightly though, the the whole crimp section would be almost cut in half. I was using the crimp part of a wire stripper to do it. Is there a secret to crimping or is there some special tool I need? I have also tried the set screw type, but they never seem to grip the wire tight enough and the wire ends up working itself loose. I was thinking of getting the bananas from:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1168

·
Registered
804 Posts
You could try soldering the ends of your speaker wire before crimping it on, that way if your too tight it wont cut in half.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
A really GOOD crimping tool is what's needed for a nice, clean. TIGHT crimp. Most "wire strippers" with the crimping section in the middle are geared for the much thinner wire connectors and pieces used in regular wiring applications. They don't do a good job at all on the (usually) heavier banana plugs.

Parts Express has one that works VERY well. A bit on the expensive side for just a few connections, but well worth the money IMHO if you have several to do.

It has a much "wider" crimping surface area and is made from forged, hardened steel. A $7.99 wire stripping/crimping tool off the shelf from HD, just doesn't do a very good job.

With those bananas (which will work just fine by the way), I would suggest using some HEAT SHRINK over the connection point of the banana and the wire. This will give you a nice airtight connection with no worries about any future corrosion. And, it will give your speaker wires a "Professionally Terminated" look as well.

I hope this helps.... Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I may try soldering the very tip of the wire and crimping just behind that and follow up with a piece of shrink wrap.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cole
Thanks for the advice guys. I may try soldering the very tip of the wire and crimping just behind that and follow up with a piece of shrink wrap.
Mike..... you COULD do that.... but any solder will impede the signal. IMHO, better to bite the bullet on a good crimping tool and leave the solder out of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls
Mike..... you COULD do that.... but any solder will impede the signal. IMHO, better to bite the bullet on a good crimping tool and leave the solder out of it.
Or, given the price of a good pair of crimpers, maybe I will get some of those bananas with the dual opposed set screws that I just saw on the PE website. They looked like they would hold the wire securely and no soldering would be involved. The price would work out to be about the same and I could at least reuse the plugs in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.