AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this, but couldn't find it.

On my screen wall I have a couple power outlets, and my LCR speaker wires come out there from my pre-wire. How do I cover it with acoustic material (OC 703 or AFB, whatever), cover it, and still have access to the outlets and also attach the screen to the wall? I'm really new to home improvement and all this stuff. Do I just install it around the outlets, and put 2x4s to mount the screen on and make the panels around that? Do I just staple the bare acoustic panels to the wall and cover the whole thing with AT fabric?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm feeling really lost on this.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Most often, people deaden the front wall if its behind an acoustically transparent screen. I don't recall whether you're planning an AT screen or not, the description above leads me to believe no?

·
Registered
884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20843314

I tried searching for this, but couldn't find it.

On my screen wall I have a couple power outlets, and my LCR speaker wires come out there from my pre-wire. How do I cover it with acoustic material (OC 703 or AFB, whatever), cover it, and still have access to the outlets and also attach the screen to the wall? I'm really new to home improvement and all this stuff. Do I just install it around the outlets, and put 2x4s to mount the screen on and make the panels around that? Do I just staple the bare acoustic panels to the wall and cover the whole thing with AT fabric?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm feeling really lost on this.

Simple! Do a google search for Ultra touch insulation,This place sells it, http://www.soundaway.com/Ultratouch_...ation_s/79.htm and get some . Not expensive for what you'll need, get the 24"wide x 94" high and either the 3.5"or 5.5" thick.Check the website out it has the same product by another company that sells it as sound deadening material for alot more money.Set up (build) a 2x4 or 2x6 wall in front of your current wall . Make sure you set the 2x4/6 about 23.5" spaced so that the denum insulation fits snug. Use staples to hold them in place, you'll have a great sounding front wall bass trap and will make a big change in the sound in your room. You can layer the walls if you like and have the space, at the corners you can double up on the insulation so as to build corner traps. This then can be covered with black fabric and the screen no matter which, electric/fixed etc. can be mounted right to this new wall.I've built many traps that are in my room with this product Trust me it works! My theater has it and the sound is great! If you pm me i'm willing to send you an e-mail with pictures of my theater. And by no way do i vouch for the website co i provided it just shows both products. Hope this helps

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,567 Posts
If you want to minimize the loss of room length you can add furring to the wall for attaching the screen and fabric. Put a furring frame around the outlets. Then mount the OC 703 or Linacoustic to the wall between all the furring. Staple fabric to the furring and add trim to hide the staples. Cut a hole around the outlet and staple the fabric to furring frame where it will be hidden by the cover plate.

Hang your screen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.