AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do most people go about the center speaker in a front projection home theater setup? You want your right/left and center all near the same height if possible and at or near ear level, right? Well, with the giant screens FP use (I'll be using 110"), where does the darn speaker go? Underneath, with it pointed up? Above, with it pointed down? Behind the screen (would it pass thru Gatorfoam?)? Just wondering the ways others have tackled this! Thanks!

Robert Willis

Sony HS20 (when available)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Best is to put all speakers behind the screen with a proper micro-perf screen so the sound passes through properly.

Second best would be to put the center on a small table so its right up at the bottom edge, getting it as tall as possible. I think the lower tables do aim the speaker up a tad, though I've chosen not to do that in my setup.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A lot of people do behind the screen (which must be accousticly transparent).

I use a digital projector from a short throw, so micro-perfing was not an option. I opted for center speaker below the screen on an angled stand. I would say this is probably the most common choice (less people use micro-perfed screens than I would have though).

Some people place the speaker above the screen, but depending on your ceiling height this may not be an option.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My FP screen is in front of my entertainment center with glass doors so micro-perf was not an option. I was told lights will bounce off the glass and become distracting and I didn't want to spend $2K to find this out for myself. So I went with a non micro-perf pull down (~$350). I mounted the center speakers above the screen and the front two as high as I can while keeping them all pointed down toward the sweet spot. I have a 8' ceiling and it worked out nicely. Of course my wife likes to keep them hidden inside the entertainment center when we only have the RPTV but it would be too much work and $$$.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm just building a small soffit above the screen area to mount my center channel in. Mirco perf was my first idea but the $$ for a quality one was a major factor in ruling that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.