AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran a cat6 cable (568B wiring) in my office room. One end has keystone jack in the wall and the other end has cat6 connector.

When I test the cable with pladin datashark network cable tester, wire8(Brown) light is not coming up. I tested terminating again but still wire8 light is not coming up. Is there any other way to test the connection?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Why? Continuing to test it isn't somehow going to change the results, assuming the tester is functioning properly.

It appears that your tester only tests for continuity. A more advanced (and far more expensive) tester could give you an idea of where that conductor is open, which could help you find the fault perhaps.

That being said, what kind of network do you need? If you only need 10/100, then you could just ignore the fault since 10/100 only needs two pairs. If you need to have gigabit for some reason, then unless it's a termination problem or you can access the cable somewhere the fault is, then you'd need to pull a new cable. But I am guessing that 10/100 is probably plenty, am I right...?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right!!!

I didn't think there would be a problem at wallplate as its snap the wires and was re terminating at the other.

After seeing your message, I checked the wall plate and the brown wire was not connected properly. Now I get all 8 lights.

Thanks for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.