AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any proper way to decide which settings on my TV works best with 24fps sources (such as my Oppo BDP-83)?

I want the correct 24-frame per second display, nothing smother and

nothing jumpier (more studder) caused by my Sony Bravia LCD.

The TV has these settings:
Motion Enhancer settings:

High - Provides smoother picture movement, such as for film-based contents.

Standard - Provides smoother picture movement. Use this setting for standard use.

Off - This setting is to be used when High and Standard settings result in noise

CineMotion/Film Mode:

Provides smoother picture movement when playing images taken on film, reducing picture blurness and graininess.

Available CineMotion settings :

Auto 1 - Provides smoother picture movement than the original film-based content. Use this setting for standard use.

Auto 2 - Provides the original film-based content as is.

Off - Turns off the feature

I would guess that Motion Enhancer: Off and CineMotion: Auto 2 (or Off) would be the correct setting but how do I evaluate them?

Any test sequences on DVE/S&M to decide which setting giives the correct film like look?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
DVE doesn't have any, for sure. I don't know if Spears and Munsil does. Really, all you can do is watch a sequence from content you're familiar with and change settings, looking for subtle or not-so-subtle variations or artifacts.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I think the manual for the HD DVD version of DVE may mention the opening sequence of the restaurant scene as being intended to look at cadence. w6rz has a 24 fps constantly moving bar clip that was included on the link below. Personally I like the scene mentioned in some of the Cnet reviews, where in I Am Legend there's a helicopter flyover looking down at the Intrepid aircraft carrier toward the beginning of the movie.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/20802503

Really, all you can do is watch a sequence from content you're familiar with and change settings, looking for subtle or not-so-subtle variations or artifacts.

Well, I don't often see something at the cinema that I have on DVD or Blu-ray, usually I have seen the movie a long time ago atthe cinema and can't really recall how it "flowed" then when I watch the disc at home.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/20802835

I think the manual for the HD DVD version of DVE may mention the opening sequence of the restaurant scene as being intended to look at cadence. w6rz has a 24 fps constantly moving bar clip that was included on the link below. Personally I like the scene mentioned in some of the Cnet reviews, where in I Am Legend there's a helicopter flyover looking down at the Intrepid aircraft carrier toward the beginning of the movie.

is this the moving bar clip? " Alternating black/white 1, 2, 3 and 4 pixel strips with moving bar, 24p video bitstream 1920x1080 "

·
Registered
8,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl; /forum/post/0

Is there any proper way to decide which settings on my TV works best with 24fps sources (such as my Oppo BDP-83)?

I want the correct 24-frame per second display, nothing smother and

nothing jumpier (more studder) caused by my Sony Bravia LCD.

The TV has these settings:
Motion Enhancer settings:

High - Provides smoother picture movement, such as for film-based contents.

Standard - Provides smoother picture movement. Use this setting for standard use.

Off - This setting is to be used when High and Standard settings result in noise

CineMotion/Film Mode:

Provides smoother picture movement when playing images taken on film, reducing picture blurness and graininess.

Available CineMotion settings :

Auto 1 - Provides smoother picture movement than the original film-based content. Use this setting for standard use.

I would guess that Motion Enhancer: Off and CineMotion: Auto 2 (or Off) would be the correct setting but how do I evaluate them?

Any test sequences on DVE/S&M to decide which setting giives the correct film like look?

Motion Enhancer: OFF - Cinemotion: Auto 2

Motion Enhancer is probably sony's MotionFlow - Motion Interpolation ( adding atrificial frames between original ones).

Cinemotion Auto1 does some extra smoothing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=349

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...50&postcount=4

If your TV has a Display Area option it should be set to FULL Pixel when watching 1080p24 stuff.

Might wanne throw in some Noise Reduction Low on some content.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/20803937

Motion Enhancer: OFF - Cinemotion: Auto 2

Motion Enhancer is probably sony's MotionFlow - Motion Interpolation ( adding atrificial frames between original ones).

Cinemotion Auto1 does some extra smoothing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=349

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...50&postcount=4

If your TV has a Display Area option it should be set to FULL Pixel when watching 1080p24 stuff.

Might wanne throw in some Noise Reduction Low on some content.

Thanks, but what is the difference between CineMotion Auto 2 vs Off?

CineMotion/Film Mode: Provides smoother picture movement when playing images taken on film, reducing picture blurness and graininess.

"Auto 2" with "Provides the original film-based content as is" sounds as it would add no processing but what is then the "Off" setting?

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl;
Thanks, but what is the difference between CineMotion Auto 2 vs Off?

CineMotion/Film Mode: Provides smoother picture movement when playing images taken on film, reducing picture blurness and graininess.

"Auto 2" with "Provides the original film-based content as is" sounds as it would add no processing but what is then the "Off" setting?
When you're not watching a 1080p24 bluray Cinemotion can be turned off (you could leave it on since it will be inactive anyway).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts