AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for a great resource here.

I am starting down the expensive road of putting together a high-quality but compact home theater. I have a tiny house and need a pull-down screen that is suitable for a ceiling-mounted projector and a wide viewing angle.

From the research I've done, it looks like the screen material I want is Da-Lite's High Power. That's open to question of course, but let's start there.

My question is, if I go to Da-Lite's site, I see dozens of models, most of which offer the High Power material. Am I correct in assuming that the difference between the models is not in the screen materials? That is, if I got what looks to be a fairly lowly Model B, but with High Power material, am I simply sacrificing...I don't know, roller quality, tensioning, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
JVC Z1, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2,Gem2,Voice2
3,847 Posts
Use Da-lite's material guide to see what is offered on various models. I am looking at ordering a tensioned model B deluxe in 92" in HCMW(MW not available) today for a very resonable price from the local distributors (unless anyone tells me that it's not optimum enough for my Sony Pearl @ short throw/night time/pine walled room). The model B is offered in Matte White (1.0 gain), HC Matte White (1.1), video spectra (1.3), Silver Matte (1.5), and High Power(2.8). The are some fabrics not offered with the manual screens, but depending on your app, those offered should be fine. Plain Matte White has the highest viewing angle.

Follow Da-lites screen guide to see exactly what material you are able to get in each fabric: http://www.da-lite.com/products/selecting.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks. I guess what I'm asking is: suppose there's a model B and a model C, and both are specced with the same material (let's just say HCMW; doesn't matter). Is the difference between the model B and model C then not in the screen itself in any way, but only in the housing, the retraction mechanism, etc. etc.?

·
Premium Member
JVC Z1, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2,Gem2,Voice2
3,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljnelson /forum/post/0

Hey, thanks. I guess what I'm asking is: suppose there's a model B and a model C, and both are specced with the same material (let's just say HCMW; doesn't matter). Is the difference between the model B and model C then not in the screen itself in any way, but only in the housing, the retraction mechanism, etc. etc.?

By what your saying, yes that's correct, the difference is in the features not the screen itself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I know this is a super late reply but thought I would chime in for anyone (like myself) here searching keywords for info about the model b & c differences.

I was talking to da-lite today for a good 30 mins about my room setting, fabric choices, model choices etc.

The main difference they were telling me in the C and B models were B was entry and had more rolls on the spool, hence more potential for future line issues and the more rolling the more potential for future tension issues (that was them saying this not me).

The model C they said was a stronger thicker mechanism and the screen was ona thicker spool so less potential of lines developing over time, and is stronger overall casing and insides.

So for my application at home here sounded like I wanted to go with a model C for durability and less potential line issues down the road from putting up and down often.

Just my 2 cents, but was searching the forums here today for user input on the two and came across this thread so thought I would chime in with what the company described the differences as for future searchers.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.