AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing around with my new 5040, recording different types of shows in the three different qualities and comparing the features and results to my 3-year-old TiVo.

One thing I can't find is how to determine what quality I recorded a show at (after the fact). Since I didn't write down which movie was at HIGH and which was at MEDIUM, is there a "built-in" feature to display this information?.

If not, is there a third-party utility that I can run on my PC to read the files on the 5040 across my network (without transferring them) and getting their "properties"?

I've searched here, ReplayTV, Replay FAQs, and on Google and haven't found the answer yet..

TIA...

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Just go to the left column in the Replay guide.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
the only thing to note on BB's comment, is that if you change the recording quality of a repeating show, the left column doesn't correctly state the level. I don't believe any post channel setup changes to the quality are used in repeated recordings, but the left colum states that all recordings are at that "new" level.

Is that confusing or what? There's also the chance what I just said is incorrect, and if so someone will correct me. =)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
the only thing to note on BB's comment, is that if you change the recording quality of a repeating show, the left column doesn't correctly state the level. I don't believe any post channel setup changes to the quality are used in repeated recordings, but the left colum states that all recordings are at that "new" level.

Is that confusing or what? There's also the chance what I just said is incorrect, and if so someone will correct me. =)
OK, count me among the confused...

I could have sworn I just tried that last night. I was trying to change my "Simpsons" recording setup to standard from medium and it wouldn't let me because I had shows still in that record group.

So perhaps I didn't understand what you were saying, but I thought that was why Bas's tip holds true is that Replay doesn't let you switch recording if there is still a show in that category.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
That's absolutely true. I've never been able to change the record quality of a channel while there were still recordings in it. The question then is does the display correctly reflect the change if you change the record quality while the channel is empty? I'm pretty sure that it does.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
That's absolutely true. I've never been able to change the record quality of a channel while there were still recordings in it. The question then is does the display correctly reflect the change if you change the record quality while the channel is empty? I'm pretty sure that it does.
I'll confirm on both points here. I recently did/tried all of the above based on discussion here that standard looked good. So, I went through and switched everything (except for a few groups that already had saved shows and wouldn't let me change the recording options) to standard. And, then checked to make sure they all had been changed.

By the way, standard quality looks very good!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS!

The cursor always dropped down to the SECOND column, so I never thought about MOVING it any way but UP and DOWN.

Now I'm off to find "Season Passes" and How-To record ALL occurrences of ONE show in ANY timeslot on ANY day without duplicates, keeping a maximum of 10 [30 minute show plays 3 times/day on weekdays and 2 times/day on weekends with 2 repeats on each weekday and most (but not all) of the weekday shows repeated on the weekend].

So far, I had to create a different entry for EACH timeslot (YUK!).

[What I need is "Transistional Menus", like Excel has for Lotus! ;) ]

P.S. MAN! I'm so glad that when I saw the "Submit Reply" hesitate, I did a Cntl-C on my reply. Is it just with me :D or do these Forums "hang" more than the "average" forum? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can change the quality of recordings in a repeating channel as long as you have enough room in the channel for more recordings.

I changed a channel I had 3 shows recorded at medium to standard. The channel was set to keep 6 shows. It now records in standard but the medium recordings are still there. When you check the quality on the left it will only show you what it is set to record at now.

You can check what quality they really are in DVArchive.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I am certain that I had a multiple show channel only partially full with MQ recordings and when I tried to make it SQ it squawked and wouldn't let me. Which series and OS version are you using?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
That is actually partially true.

Quote:
Originally posted by skinsfan05
You can change the quality of recordings in a repeating channel as long as you have enough room in the channel for more recordings.

I changed a channel I had 3 shows recorded at medium to standard. The channel was set to keep 6 shows. It now records in standard but the medium recordings are still there. When you check the quality on the left it will only show you what it is set to record at now.

You can check what quality they really are in DVArchive.
This is absolutely true.

By changing the quality, you also change the amount of storage reserved for the channel. If the existing shows are higher quality then you may not have enough room for the future shows. That's when it doesn't allow you to make the change. As a workaround you can increase the number of shows to keep in the channel.

For example: If you have a channel to keep 2 shows in medium quality and with 1 existing recording, you cannot change the quality to standard. But if you change it to keep 3 or more shows, you can.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally posted by scorpi0
By changing the quality, you also change the amount of storage reserved for the channel. If the existing shows are higher quality then you may not have enough room for the future shows. That's when it doesn't allow you to make the change. As a workaround you can increase the number of shows to keep in the channel.

For example: If you have a channel to keep 2 shows in medium quality and with 1 existing recording, you cannot change the quality to standard. But if you change it to keep 3 or more shows, you can.
WOW!!! This is getting HEAVY - you went :eek:EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE:eek: of the way I thought you were heading.

Logically, I would have thought:
  • Lowering the QUALITY lowers the amount of SPACE reserved
  • Lowering the QUALITY allows you to increase the QUANTITY
  • Existing recordings have no effect on changing the future QUALITY

But, from your explanation, I now infer:
  • Lowering the QUALITY lowers the amount of SPACE reserved *IF* the existing recordings *PLUS* the future scheduled recordings can still fit in the newly-calculated allotted SPACE
  • Lowering the QUALITY allows you to increase the QUANTITY, but *ONLY* if the previous condition was satisfied
  • Existing recordings/QUALITY/QUANTITY DETERMINES the extent of what you can change
  • *BUT* if you:
    1. Increase the QUANTITY at the existing higher QUALITY
    2. Save It
    3. Return and lower both the QUALITY and the QUANTITY, you can get away with it... ;) [/list=1]
    True???

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I can confirm you are able to "change" the settings in the channel's options with shows in the channel. But, I can't confirm the changes take, I've always been a bit pissed at the "feature" that are available but don't do anything. This is one of them. Another would be the "extending" the recording with the more options while recording. It looks like you should be able to do it because the menu support is there, but attempting to do so fails. There are many of these inconsistencies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClearToLand

it any way but UP and DOWN.

Now I'm off to find "Season Passes" and How-To record ALL occurrences of ONE show in ANY timeslot on ANY day without duplicates, keeping a maximum of 10 [30 minute show plays 3 times/day on weekdays and 2 times/day on weekends with 2 repeats on each weekday and most (but not all) of the weekday shows repeated on the weekend].

So far, I had to create a different entry for EACH timeslot (YUK!).

[What I need is "Transistional Menus", like Excel has for Lotus! ;) ]

:

I believe that if you use 'zones' to find a show that it will record all instances but I can't check that as my wife is watching "All My Children" and I'm not allowed in the room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.