AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HTPC with RPC-1 DVD-ROM (manufactured in 1999), Radeon 8500 with ATI component adapter, and WinDVD 4.0. REGION 1 DVDs play fine. I recently ordered a REGION 2 DVD of Spooks from Amazon.co.uk. I can view this DVD using a VGA monitor. However on my Mitsubishi 55" 16:9 HDTV it will not display a picture. Audio plays fine. I'm assuming that this is because the monitor can adjust for 50hz display, but NTSC TVs will only display 60hz info, nothing at a 50hz refresh rate.

Is there any software or settings I can configure to output a PAL DVD at 60hz so it will display on my television?

If not, I guess I'll look into the region free DVD players with NTSCPAL converters built in. If that is indeed the case, any recommendations on such a player?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
DVD Regionfree will allow you to play any region DVDs. Also removes Macrovision protection, etc;

-MP

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
llamameat: ATI Component dongle @ 1080i...

madpoet: I don't think region coding is the problem, because it displays fine on VGA monitor, just not on Mitsubishi HDTV. If region coding were the problem, I shouldn't be able to play the disc in WinDVD at all, I would get a popup instead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wound up buying a Philips 727 DVD player at Target for $89. Progressive Scan, 3:2 pulldown, and built in PALNTSC converter for non-region encoded discs. Used the remote to put in a code to make the player Region-Free, and now PALNTSC for ALL discs. Plays [spooks] with no problems so far.

Now to look into the Region2 version of The Lion King with the DTS soundtrack...

·
Registered
53 Posts
What is an ATI Component Adapter? Where do you connect it to your TV? Composite Video? S-Video? Component Video? RGB? VGA or DVI?

I have played both PAL and NTSC DVD using both S-VIDEO to my old 27-inch non-HD NTSC Panasonic TV as well as DVI to Samsung HLN437w with no problem. I use both WinDVD5.1 and ZP.

I think, the bottom line is if you are outputing VGA signal or 720p DVI or 480i S-VIDEO signal you are fine. My Radeon 9500 Pro does it automatically.

Regards

CJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Both the player and the TV must be PAL capable. Even if you have a universal player, It will never run PAL if your monitor is an NTSC standard only. Most TV's today are NTSC/PAL capabale though.

I have a region free player and I still cant play PAL DVDs on my Toshiba TV bacause it is an NTSC only standard TV. Brought the player to my Sonys upstairs (which is PAL and NTSC capable) and played without any problem.

If im wrong and if you guys know of a work around for this, please let me know :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Philips 727 has a PALNTSC converter and will display a PAL DVD on my NTSC Television. It should do the opposite as well, but I do not have a PAL TV to test it out. It has a 2MB buffer the image is fed into and converted before output to NTSC.

I am now able to play my recently purchased Region 2 PAL DVD on my NTSC TV. Best of all, the player also has 3:2 pulldown, works with CD-RWs and DVD+R/+RW discs and only cost $89 at Target!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Refresh frequency (50 vs. 60Hz) shouldn't be a factor in playback through an HTPC. The image sent to the display (monitor or TV) has its timing determined by the video card settings of your PC, not those of the DVD native region. Playing a region 2 DVD does not change display timing of the PC. There are programs like reclock that will vary the display timing according to source (so no or less frames need to be dropped) but their changes are just a few percent of the base timing, it won't switch from 60 Hz to 50Hz.

FWIW, region 2 DVDs play just fine on my 60Hz GWII. I'm using Region Killer (freeware) to make any DVD look like it's a region 1 DVD. Also had to make my DVD drive region-free using a little utility that modifies the firmware. Works like a charm though.

-Rob-

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so I purchased "Spooks" on DVD from the UK. It's a Region 2 DVD of a BBC television show. Audio on it sounds normal, and picture quality is great.

Since that was a success, I decided to purchase a bunch of Region 4 DVDs from Australia. I bought DVDs that were anamorphic in R4 that were not anamorphic on their R1 releases, such as Romy & Michele's High School Reunion, Crimson Tide, Grosse Pointe Blank, etc. I then discovered that NTSC films on PAL DVDs are actually 4% too fast (23.976fps NTSC progressive vs 25fps PAL), so the audio is noticibly faster. In R&MHSR, Lisa Kudrow's voice is at a higher pitch that it should be.

Apparently audio pitch is not a problem with UK TV shows on DVD, just NTSC films that are translated to PAL DVDs. In many cases the audio is not pitch-corrected during the conversion from NTSC to PAL, and PAL viewers simply have to live with the higher pitch audio. I can immediately detect the higher pitch and it throws off the entire viewing experience for me.

In researching how to fix this I found posts in the DVDRHELP.com forums about ripping and reencoding the audio and video. After a good bit of experimenting, I did get this to work, but it took 7.5 hours to reencode the video on a Celeron 2.4Ghz system. The end result was video and audio at 23.976fps that made Lisa Kurdow sound like the Lisa Kudrow I know and love. But definitely a pain...

I've found that WinDVD has an option called PAL TruSpeed that will slow down PAL DVDs to 23.976fps, and in stereo mode they look and sound great. But when PAL TruSpeed changes the audio pitch, DD5.1 sound no longer passes over S/PDIF. So I can get corrected audio but I lose discreet surrounds. Not what I wanted.

So now I'm hearing about ReClock. I'm still reading various threads about this, and I'm still unsure if it will allow proper audio pitch while playing PAL DVDs on my NTSC HDTV.

My question is this:

Is anyone watching american movies on PAL DVD with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound at the correct audio pitch? If so, what programs are you using? I have WinDVD v4 and v5, but would be willing to look into other players if I can enjoy my DD5.1 at the correct pitch.

Thanks!

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.