AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 inch Hitachi that is about 10 years old now. It's still working and I don't plan on replacing it very soon unless it dies suddenly. I was just wondering if it does die and I don't want to get it fixed, what do I do with it? Do repair shops take them off your hands?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check with your recycler or the Recycling section of the yellow pages. Major urban areas will have one or more businesses that accept and recycle old electronics gear. It is good of you to ask! TVs contain nasty toxins such as lead and must be properly disposed of.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I would bet that a repair shop would take it just for parts. There will be many things that can be salvaged off of it, such as the speakers, screen, lenses. Probably the tubes would still work. They would be shot, probably, but a shot tube can replace a tube that won't work at all.

Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
Donate to a local charity (e.g., Goodwill, Salvation Army). They will pick up the TV, you'll take a tax deduction.

Before too long, someone (maybe a TV repair shop) is sure to buy the RPTV and repair it.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.