AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the early 90s there was an arcade system made by Namco called the Theater 6. It used two Sony 104x projectors not even capable of 1080i and could barely handle 480p. It had a screen made of six flat panels.

As you can see the images don't even line up perfectly 100%. I'd be happy with something like that.

With two 960x1080i images, which my ECP CAD/CAM is perfectly capable of displaying. Is there any computer software which can output two 1920x1080i halves as 960x1080i each?

·
Registered
595 Posts
You could probably use powerstrip to custom-define primary and secondary displays for 960x1080i, and run a second desktop. An alternative would be to set up one 960x1080i resolution, and tell your video card to 'span', which should make the whole thing look like one 1920x1080i screen to software.

Theoretically that ought to work, but I haven't played with it. It should be fairly easy to test, though.

The best part about the second option is that it's *totally* transparent to software. Nothing will even notice the difference.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't need a solution that fancy. I don't care to blend. I just want to put out half the signal on each projector super cheap.

I think of it this way:

1)I want more brightness

2)More sharpness than one projector can give

3)Closer throw, one projector needs a 14'x8' while a edge matched setup with two only needs an 8'x8'

Mostly I care more about 2 and 3. I'll eventually want to do light control. A smaller room is cheaper.

I'm a cheap SOB. I paid $35. Why would I pay $35 for two projectors and then $25,000 on a blender? I'm only doing a 88"x44.5" on white spray painted screen which cost me ~$50 total. For $25,085 I could get the best Barco Cine9 single projector and top of the line screen of anything I want which will do a 88"x44.5" better than my current projectors.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Having had experience with a blended 1292Q setup running dual pcs with Dscaler, I am going to tell you outright that the cheap AND simple way is a using a 720P pj, or perhaps even a NEC 6PG since the screen requirements are small. Just not nearly as cool...

That said, it is being done by a french AVS'er with dual Sonys like you propose. Darn if I can remember his AVS name (right now).

Also check the archives, MC Maniac did a dual 1292Q pc based blend using a Dscaler plug in. He'll also tell you the simple smart route would be a 720P pj. Having some involvement in that interesting project, the bottom line cost on this is going to be around $1k either way. Unless you have a couple of P4 2 Ghz pcs running XP laying around unused.

Another route might be a Torus screen with a single pj.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What PeriSoft said should work great.

It would be easy to color match with a probe and Argyll CMS, at least I think so. Not sure how it behaves when as one monitor but it should still handle different LUTs on the two outputs.

Convergence would be a nightmare though.

Considered a 40$ gfx has it it would be stupid not to test.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
We tried the nVidia software back then. 2560x 1080P was getting soft on a FX3000, with an edge blend was merely ok. Likely things have improved since then too.

What sources will you be using? And exactly what do you want of the setup?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/14212359

What sources will you be using? And exactly what do you want of the setup?

I want to watch movies and the occasional MAME (arcade emulator) on the PC.

700 peak lumens just isn't cutting it, even if I max out brightness and contrast properly using a pluge pattern. It's ever so slightly too dim on my 88"x44.5" Killz screen. If I can't make a edge match solution work, I'm going to have to reduce my screen to ~92" diagonal from my current 100" diagonal

1080i also isn't as sharp as it could be and 720p is taxing the deflection? too much. 1080i looks fine but not that sharp, 720p moves around. Sort of looks like how the old woblation DLPs looked. I was hoping with an edge match, I'd be able to:

Improve sharpness

Use a smaller room

A brighter image without a smaller screen or a gain screen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I spent $300 and covered my whole room in 100% black cotton velour, would that cut down reflections in my white drywalled room enough to make what i'm figuring is ~5 foot lamberts more watchable?

Also, there's no light in my room at night except the star and moon light. Would cutting out that light make much of a difference?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Some black paint will work wonders.

So you have the Sonys already? I wasn't suggesting 720P on one of those Sonys but a single larger pj, rather then buying two 1030/1041 series pjs.

I was thinking that even a NEC PG6 with something like a used Immersive H3D card as an input in a pc, would give you better results then spending money on other hardware. The H3D also has an orbiter function.

I am sure you'd be thrilled with the results of Coquebert's blending, but if you are starting from scratch, there's more cost effective ways to proceed.

BTW, I pm'ed you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/14217488

Some black paint will work wonders.

So you have the Sonys already? I wasn't suggesting 720P on one of those Sonys but a single larger pj, rather then buying two 1030/1041 series pjs.

I was thinking that even a NEC PG6 with something like a used Immersive H3D card as an input in a pc, would give you better results then spending money on other hardware. The H3D also has an orbiter function.

I am sure you'd be thrilled with the results of Coquebert's blending, but if you are starting from scratch, there's more cost effective ways to proceed.

BTW, I pm'ed you.

Oh, heh

I don't have those Sonys. I have two Electrohome ECP CAD/CAM projectors with a build date of 1987 and were first made in 1983.

I got both for $35, so pretty much $17.50 each!

That means, so far, I've invested $85 in the CRT hobby

I only showed those Sonys because I want to do the same thing. Everyone talks about blending or stacking. No one ever talks about just edge matching, where you just butt together the two images. That's what the Theater 6 system does. You then line up the two images manually as best as possible not caring about a vertical line showing in the middle.

I didn't get a PM, I only have 5 messages, so send again!

I'm house shopping right now and want to buy my house based on how big of a room I'll need for my projectors or if need be projector. I'm going to unpack my projectors this Monday. I'll then take pictures and make another thread how these ancient knob only with no OSD menu projectors work. They're like how the USS Enterprise on the original Star Trek was ghetto as can be looks wise, but could really haul ass. It's the same with my ECPs.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Edge matching does get mentioned in past blending threads (which are mostly in the archives now). It is usually the first thing tried, then gets disguarded right away as it is not to the higher standards us videophiles are after.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd /forum/post/14219201

Edge matching does get mentioned in past blending threads (which are mostly in the archives now). It is usually the first thing tried, then gets disguarded right away as it is not to the higher standards us videophiles are after.

Ted,

I think I'm going to have to give up
I guess I'll have to put a single projector in the living room and figure out a way to make it work. I was hoping to use the 8'x8' room, now that's out. The living room is going to be a ***** to light control and I guess I'll be taking about an hour getting used to the dim picture before watching each movie!

I read that thread. It's way too confusing for me. I'm having a hard time setting up one. I also thought if I looked around I'd find another CAD/CAM driver box. I only have one. It's not easy to find another. So if my driver box ever breaks, I'm screwed.

I'll be playing lots of MAME before a movie.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
8x8x8' I think we have a new winner for smallest ht!

Blending was confusing, but a large amount of that confusion was eventually tracked down to a flakey capture card.

Could you wall mount that projector vertically and use a front throw mirror out of a disguarded crt rear projection tv set? (much like a folded light path rear projection setup) You'd lose a little bit of light output by the mirror (3%) but a light controlled room should more then make up for it. I seem to recall someone doing this a few years back. (Likely in the archives by now.) I think a Barco 808 was used.

Another thought is upgrading the pj and wall mounting it vertically. Maybe a lense swap? hd144 lenses shorten up a Barco 808 throw distance a foot on a 52x92" screen.

Any dormers? Any closet in that room? Any room beside it you could reframe a bit of ceiling or steal some closet headroom space to gain throw distance? It's a tiny room for a crt pj, but I have to think a little creative "outside the box" thinking could make it work.

I pm'ed you....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
 http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...m/dh2go/specs/

The 'Digital Edition' MAY take a 1920 width and split it. You'll need two DVI-I to VGA adapters.

There's also a triple head model.

I have no firsthand experience with this thing, just a long memory

Check the list of resolutions... it looks like this thing wants to split up much higher resolutions, or has aspect dependencies that won't work

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I think Clarence played with the Matrox cards. And an FX1000. I seem to remember the FX3000 split the resolution but that's pushing my memory.

An ebay saved search for a second CAD/CAM box might be a good idea. Ebay has never let me down finding oddball or rare stuff, over time.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Hard Edge Blending was discussed in some of the older threads. Try the VLC soft edge blend. Try putting the projectors on their side, providing 8:3 phosfor area as a starting point (might help slightly with the throw as well. Or stack them on top of eachother at 1080i.

As for mirrors I know of a few people who have done this, but would not attempt it on a stack let alone blend.

The basic idea is beautifully demonstrated by the ITT CineVision 160 (Mobile).
http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/tritu...5.html#p201075

And your projector:
http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/tritu...0.html#p306540

1 - 20 of 20 Posts