AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2.1 music system that is set up in a challenging room, and would like to also have 5.1 whilst using my integrated amp for music listening. Can I use an AVR for this purpose without using the preamp section of the AVR, and applying Audyssey? (I want to use the preamp in the integrated amplifier).

I currently have a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp (with 'main in' and 'pre out') and SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer. Thinking of adding a second hand Denon AVR-4311.

What I'd like is two setup options without having to change cables:

Music - 2.1 with integrated amplifier and subwoofer (Audyssey applied by AVR to sub only or sub and speakers), without using preamp section of AVR

Home Theatre - 5.1 with integrated amplifier used as power amp (via main in which disables pre) and AVR handling the rest

Any advice very much appreciated!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You have to use the pre-amp in the AVR with a AVR + stereo amp combo, otherwise how would you control master volume of all channels in AV mode?

In stereo mode, all stereo sources are connnected to the stereo amp.
In AV, all multi-channel sources are sent to the AVR. AVR L/R pre-outs into stereo amp.

"Home Theatre - 5.1 with integrated amplifier used as power amp"

Not many integrated offer this function. Audiolab 8000S does.

I had AV + stereo amp system a while ago, a bit complicated but it works. Helps if your stereo amp has power amp function from dedicated RCA input.

You will have a problem with sending bass to the sub from the AVR + stereo amp, you'll get duplicated bass, or with L/R filtered, then the signal from the stereo amp to sub will be filtered as well, and in AV mode, your sub will receive signal from your AVR and stereo amp.

Simplest would be build up two systems, that's what I have done now. Keep em apart, AV pre and power amplifiers in one room, stereo pre and power amplifiers in another room.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My advice is to go with a surround receiver or preamp that lets you switch set different presets for surround and 2 channel sources. My Onkyo will let me do that.

With this kind of setup, you could use your old integrated amp as a power amp for some of your channels (assuming the right connections), or you could sell it.

It would complicate things to try to take the surround receiver out of the picture for 2 channel playback, and I don't think that would be worthwhile, as long as you get one of reasonable quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts