AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting an xbox in Nov when they come out, since they're gonna be hi-def. I've never been a game type person, but I figure what the heck. Anything to take advantage of my HD-ready TV, right? Well, according to Cuban, his channel's gonna be on in November, so I figure that will probably push me over the edge on a STB. I haven't done it yet, because our local HD hasn't arrived yet. (ABC from a temporary lowpower tower so far).

So, on to my question. I'm assuming I'm gonna need something so that I can have two devices hooked up to one set of HD inputs so that I don't have to move a 61" tv and change cords around every time I want to play vs. watch tv. Input and ideas are VERY welcome.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm in a similar position. My Mitsubishi has one component/RGBHV HD input which is already hooked up to my DTC-100 via a breakout cable. I love the idea of the X-Box, but where will I hook it up? Any recommendations would be helpful.

--Andrew

·
Registered
957 Posts
looks like a component input. You could settle for 480P in you DVD input or use the RCA or audio authority convertor on your DTC-100 and pick up a component switch box. Do a search for options. You can go from a Extron switch to just using a manual av switch box (sony SB-V40S) left,right,video work fine but you do have to get off the couch.
http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/adapter...tionavpack.htm

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pioneer advertises the VSX-D810S as having HD compatable wideband componnent switching. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
paul: do you know if the denon 4800 can pass 1080i correctly? thanks.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
512 Posts
i have the denon avr-3801. i have a dish network echostar 6000 connected to one of my tv's two wideband component inputs and my ps2 and toshiba sd-2109 connected via component cables to the second input. [i connected my 6000 through the 3801 to see how much, if any, degredation the picture took on, but from what i saw it was just as good. i'm no expert, but it didn't look bad at all] once i get the x-box the ps2 is getting downgraded to s-video (it can't pass hi-def or progressive dvd signals anyway can it?) and the x-box is going via component cables to the 3801 along with the toshiba dvd player (although the toshiba might become useless if the x-box is a good enough progressive player in which case the x-box will go straight to the back of my tv).

the only option i can see for you if you don't have a wideband switching capable receiver is to get a switcher like was previously mentioned. if you locate any cheap wideband component video switchers please post the info here as i'm sure i'll eventually need even more of these inputs!

also, has anybody seen the HD AV Pack for the x-box? (if not check it out in the hardware section of the xbox.com site) you plug it into the back of the x-box and it has a small box on the other end with six female cable connections. it's not the actual cable you connect to your tv. you then have to either have already, or go and buy, more component cables to be able to connect it to your hdtv. hmmmm

·
Registered
305 Posts
Being the cheapskate that I am, I just bought a cheap Radio Shack AV (3 RCA connections for audio and composite video) switch box, and used that. I cannot tell the difference between direct connection and through the switchbox, even at 1080i. (on either my D-ILA or Sony HDTV). Your mileage may vary.

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

"I owe you PAIN !" -- Willow to Glory

·
Registered
799 Posts

Quote:
also, has anybody seen the HD AV Pack for the x-box? (if not check it out in the hardware section of the xbox.com site) you plug it into the back of the x-box and it has a small box on the other end with six female cable connections.
Does the fact that there are six connectors mean that this is an inline adapter meant to go between the receiver and the HDTV? 3 in from the receiver and 3 out to the TV? In this scenario a simple signal detection would switch off the receiver inputs and output the Xbox signal.

I don't know how this works, but I thought component video only required 3 cables.

·
Registered
957 Posts
three for component video, two for stereo left right audio and one for Digital audio.

"The High Definition AV Pack connects the Xbox video game system to high definition-ready televisions. Supports 480p, 720p and 1080i component video signals, analog audio inputs and digital receivers."

quoted from Xbox site.

------------------

RJW

[This message has been edited by wezar (edited 07-10-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.