AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny E80 and haven't been able to do any HS dubbing to a blank DVD-R. I always get a message that tells me I can only do a real-time dubbing, which is more time consuming and implies image quality loss.

Any idea why is that so? I am using Ritex 4x media.

Thanks,

Santiago:confused:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Make sure you have 'DVD-R Compatible' set on in the settings menu.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do have 'DVD-R Compatible' set on in the settings menu and the recordings in the HDD are always less than 2 hrs. long (I am trying to make them fit into a DVD-R with SP recording).:confused:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
are you trying to dub to the DVD-R in the same mode as the original recording on the hard drive?

I.e Hard Drive SP to DVD-R SP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but the panny doesn even let me choose any speed. After selecting any of the clips in high speed I keep receiving the message about not being able to do a high speed dub.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe I found the problem. I've just read this in one of the forums:

"If you do ANY kind of editing on the hard disc, high speed transfer will not be available"

I always do some editing.

My routine is as follows. I have the panny permanently recording from a Spanish satellite package. Then I erase all the programs I am not interested in and leave the films and programs I want to archive. There are no commercials in that channel. But I only keep about 10% of the recordings.....

Any hope I could still dub at high speed???:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
navarros, I have had no problems with high speed dubbing of numerous recordings....my process:

Panny E80H is set to DVD-R compatible mode

Usually use FR mode because I put multiple recordings on one disk...however I have also done an SP mode recording from VHS tape to HD. I edit out commercials using shorten segment...I have also used divide program.

I insert a blank DVD-r, hit function and select dubbing.

I select the programs to dub--making sure that I have not exceeded the limit of the disks (I think thats 4411 MB)...my programs usually run around 4000 MB, so no space problems.

I say start recoding and it comes out in less than an hour...

looking at my list, check your file size...hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Navarros -

The statement you read is wrong. You can do all sort of editing on the hard disc and still do a high-speed dub. The only limits are a) that you do the dub in the same speed as the original recording and b) that the program(s) you want to HS dub to a DVD-R are less than the total available bits, which you can see in the dubbing window.

Walk us through - - - precisely - - step-by-step - - exactly what you're doing, and we should be able to figure out where you're getting off the track.

PS: it might be the media. The E80 & E100 do a little test of each disc to see if it can, in fact, do a high-speed burn, and sometimes it will drop down to real-time speed if the disc fails the test. (More commonly, it just goes through an error process and won't use the disc at all) Try another brand just to be sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Navarros--

You can NEVER do high speed dub from a Play-List which you create from multiple files on the HDD. You can only high speed dub individual programs (although these can be the result of earlier shortening or dividing).

Could this be it?

Bill.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
But the E100 *does* allow a high speed dub from a play-list right? And I hope the E85 will?

(Does the similar Toshiba have these kinds of weird restrictions? I presume nobody knows about the upcoming Toshiba but that'd be good to know too..)

and I keep forgetting whether the playlist causes the audio dropouts or not. (doing the actual excising of commercials obviously is not frame accurate).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the problem: Most of the video clips were recorded to my HDD BEFORE I turned my 'DVD-R Compatible' on. Once I did that, an icon showed suggesting the clips wer ready for high speed dubbing.

Thank you all for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.