AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a philips dvdr80 and record tv shows, home movies ect. I want to edit them on my PC and cut out commercials, make my own menus ect.

The only way I can figure out how to do it is to rip the DVD to AVI, edit then re-encode to mpeg2.

Is there a program that lets you import a dvd, edit it without the need to re-encode the video and audio twice? Te recorder records in DD 2.0 and I'd like to keep the audio and video in tact.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You can use TMPGenc DVD Author for 'simple' menus and it will let you import your existing DVD-R's 'as is'. Very simple editing is possible. (I-Frame only).

I you want to be more elaborate you need two tools

1) DVD Decrypter (freeware) will let you rip in 'IFO' mode and extract each program on the DVD-R as a seperate (and contigious) VOB file with the audio track intact.

2) Womble MPEG2VRR ( www.womble.com ) will let you do frame accurate edits, simple effects (inserts, fades, wipes) in the VOB/MPEG2 files. It will do this WITHOUT re-encoding the entire thing, instead it uses an 'intelligent' renderer that only re-encodes the frames AROUND the edit point to make the GOP compliant (and the re-rendering is very, very good).

The output will be straight MPEG2 streams WITH the AC3/2.0 streams. AFAIK Womble is the only MPEG2 editor that will edit a MPEG2 stream with an AC3 2.0 track.

You can then use the resultant MPEG2 stream (or seperate them into M2V/AC3 streams) to use in any authoring program you choose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for the fast reply. I'll have look into that. I just hate to have to spend $120 if it don't do everything I want.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Since you have a DVD+RW Recorder, you can try any of the software listed here: http://www.dvdplusrw.org/pc/dvdvr_software/index.html

Your unit records in DVD+VR mode, which "allows for editing directly on the DVD+RW disc, without the need to rewrite the entire contents of the disc, while remaining fully DVD-Video compatible (a feature unavailable to any other recordable DVD system). This enables you for example to change the look of the menus on the disc in a few seconds."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.