AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Sony Home Theater receiver (STR-AV920) which only supports first generation Dolby Surround (4 speakers, no sub-woofer, no center channel speaker, etc...). They also claim something called "Digital Delayed Surround" on the front of the unit (whatever that is...).

I always had a hard time setting up the Dolby Surround to get a good overall audio response. More often than not, I can play around with the settings until I get a decent front/back balance with good effect separation but then all of the dialog gets lost in the background.

I'd like to find out if there is an on-line resource or book that will provide me with tips on how to get the most out of my system. I'd also like to know if there is a Dolby 5.1 or DTS "add-on" on the market so I can get instead of having to upgrade the whole receiver.

Thanks,

MD

·
Registered
616 Posts
tridactyl

I went through the same thing a few years back with my $2.5K Kenwood THX recv'r & was promised (since it was "DIGITAL READY" that soon there was going to be an "add on" - it never came.

I then last year bought the Yam Rx-V1 $4K, which was "upgradeable" from 6.1 Matrix to 6.1 Discreet - it wasn't, so for another $2.5K in November, I traded the RX-V1 for the RX-Z1 - glad I did!

I also had to get rid of the wonderful Kenwood THX sub & its THX amp as there was no gain increase (volume) possible with the new recvr, that cost another $2K. If my experiences are any help to you I suggest you get a decent 6.1 Discreet recv'r in YOUR price range & go from there, & as I just learned on this site use a 7.1 speaker set up. Your "old" Sony should serve you well somewhere else in the home/shop etc. The difference between 6.1 & what you now have is so superior, you won't regret it, & will be thrilled!!

Dougofthenorth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm really not in the market for a new system as the sound out of my Sony unit is quite good and I hope to keep using it for a while...

The receiver doesn't have an output for a 5th speaker or sub. All I have to work with are 2 Bose towers at the front and a couple of Sony satellite speakers at the back.

I found the speaker setup info on the Dolby web site and will move the satellites closer and set them up right behind our main viewing/sitting area. They are about 12' behind me right now and probably way too far to be effective.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any self-contained Pro-Logic, THX or DTS decoders that you can use to upgrade an older system (there might be something out there but I haven't seen any yet).

MD

·
Registered
616 Posts
MD;

Kenwood (& others?) sells a little crossover unit that hooks to your speaker wire L&R Mains that has an RCA out enabling you to to hook to a Powered Sub Woofer. It was only about $30 CDN. It would enhance your system & enjoyment.

Dougofthenorth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug,

I'll look into the crossover "splitter" unit you've described. Any good Canadian source for it?

By the way, I moved the surround speakers right up to the back of our main sitting area and am now enjoying a much improved surround effect. Any ideas if the crossover can be used for a center speaker instead of a sub-woofer?

Cheers,

MD

·
Registered
616 Posts
MD;

Try Kenwood US & Canadian sites on the net - you may be able to order it.

Re Centre speaker - no the Xover would be too low. & would not be discrete. Even if you could rig one up the best you could accomplish would be the mono of the L&R main channel. You would still not get the Discrete information for the centre channel off the mix. I think it would also create some unwanted wierd effects.

Dougofthenorth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I'll check out the Kenwood sites. I do agreee the sound is much, much better now that I've moved the speakers closer to our listening/sitting area.

Cheers

MD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.