Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

What would be a good filter to eliminate the blockiness I see when I capture from TV? The problem is most noticeable in the background parts of some scenes.

The picture quality of foreground objects and human faces are generally fine, it's just large background areas where you see the compression artifacts and halos.

My desire is to eliminate the background artifacts while preserving the critical areas of detail. I was thinking of using AVIsynth (I've never tried it); but wasn't sure which filter would give me the most flexibility and the best results.

I know I'm probably asking too much here, but I'm just holding out hope that the gurus here might have a clue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
ffdshow has filters you can turn on that will reduce blockiness during playback.

Supposedly, the Radeon 9500, 9700, and 9800 have a similar feature in hardware, provided that the feature is supported by the playback application and you turn on hardware acceleration. I was told by an ATI rep at NAB that two such applications are divX and Windows Media Player 9.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should've been more specific. I'm concerned with encoding the the content I capture to MPEG 2. I just don't want my final rendered content to appear as blocky if that's possible.

Can I apply the ffdshow filter during the encoding or transcoding process?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you are capturing straight to MPEG2, then you shouldn't.

Capture using a light compression codec, like Pic Video's MJPEG, then compress more aggressively later. Everybody has to learn this the hard way . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.