AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have my Receiver set to 140ms audio delay, it feels close, but not exactly correct. Are there any test videos I can use to perfect the lipsync?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
The Disney Wow disk has an audio sync test screen.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I don't think lipsync is a constant, at least not according to my wife who can do some lip reading. Unless it's way off I don't notice a problem. I'm sure there is a fixed video delay in the video processing chain. But there might be some variation in the source material. Sometimes sync looks OK on one program or channel but not another & I end up adjusting the delay up & down but my wife says none of it looks right. That doesn't happen happen often but when it does we spend a lot of time adjusting back & forth It makes me wonder if sometimes different scenes in a program might be slightly out of sync in different directions due to "sloppy" editing.

FWIW my audio delay is usually somewhere between 100 & 140 ms.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I play a lot of videos from torrents and the audio synch can be all over the place. XBMC/Kodi has an option that allows you to adjust the audio sync on the fly. I just adjust the slider until the words match the lips of the person speaking. I don't use any preset value as it varies with each video. I rarely have to use it, but it comes in handy when I need it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot folks. I think I got it to a reasonable level thanks to suggestions. While playing patterns, what helped was to get really close to the screen and block my view so I only see the frame before or after the 0 point, and then making sure sound was hitting after and before for those cases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts