AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a house and planning to run the speaker wires now for a 7.1 set up. I don't think I can have unterminated wires hanging out for inspection (plus I wont have the side surrounds for at least 6 months). So, how can I run the wires so that I will be able to easily access them later. I will have a terminal plate at the receiver end. I could use wall plates at the speaker end, but I was planning on just having a small hole in the wall where the wire would come out. I dont want to leave them behind the drywall, because I am afraid I won't be able to locate them later (even if I make a drawing or take measurements). Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
You could install an electrical box and leave a length of wire inside it. Use a cover with a hole in the center to get the wire out to the speaker. You could leave the excess wire inside the wall and pull it out to the speaker when you install them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wayne put it exactly how you should do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was hoping to avoid the wall plates, but it looks like that may be the best option.

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There is usually no problem having speaker wires hanging out of the wall for inspections. I see this all the time on new houses with wires all over the place for multi-room and meda room audio. The inspectors know what this is and there is no voltage on the wires so they are safe. They usually do not require low voltage boxes, either. I would call them up and ask to speak to the electrical inspector. They are usually happy to talk to you and I think that you will find that they do not care about speaker or data wires at all as long as you keep them away from and do not share a box with line voltage.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
There is usually no problem having speaker wires hanging out of the wall for inspections. I see this all the time on new houses with wires all over the place for multi-room and meda room audio. The inspectors know what this is and there is no voltage on the wires so they are safe. They usually do not require low voltage boxes, either. I would call them up and ask to speak to the electrical inspector. They are usually happy to talk to you and I think that you will find that they do not care about speaker or data wires at all as long as you keep them away from and do not share a box with line voltage.
I can second this. My builder left coils of speaker wire hanging out of the drywall in my family room. No boxes either. No problems with the inspection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.