AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a new subwoofer (Paradigm servo-15) and I would like to find the optimal placement of the sub in my room. I know that I will need both a test tone CD and SPL meter (I have found many different test CDs and SPL meters on sale online). Have any suggestions regarding the best user friendly test CD and SPL meter sold on the market? Also, is there any particular reference (website, book, magazine, etc…) giving details on the different steps I need to follow to find the optimal placement of my speakers? I really appreciate getting your opinions

Thanks

My 2.1 system :

Receiver HK 3475

DVD HK DVD 25

Speakers Paradigm Reference 60 V.2

Subwoofer Paradigm Servo-15

Room size: 14.5 x 12

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
Avia disc, Radio Schack SPL meter (digital version is easiest to use / read), for the sub placement run your test tones with the SPL at the [main] seating postion. Move the sub until your receive the best, most extended, flat response. Others will place the sub at the seating postion (at ear level), crawl around on their hands and knees with there SPL meter, find the best spot and place it sub there.

Best place for info...use the AVs search engine. There are plenty of like discussions in the archives.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Avia disc, Radio Schack SPL meter (digital version is easiest to use / read), for the sub placement run your test tones with the SPL at the [main] seating postion. Move the sub until your receive the best, most extended, flat response. Others will place the sub at the seating postion (at ear level), crawl around on their hands and knees with there SPL meter, find the best spot and place it sub there.
It's generally easier to put the sub at listening position and move the microphone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thebland and Swampfox,

I assume that I need to do the same thing for the two main speakers, right?

Zied

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
If you crossover (or cut off) your mains at 80 hz or above, the peaks and valleys aren't as destructive to the sounds. I am not familiar with your speakers (full range or not). If they are full range, and you choose a low crossover, placement is a little more important and will impact your overall bass frequency response. It is a little more tricky with two full range speakers and a sub. Much easier if mains are crossed over at 80 hz (or thereabouts). Some absorption in my opinion is always nice as many soundtracks are overly bright. If your mains are small, as long as your mains have a couple feet from any wall, moving them around won't change much in terms of freq. response. Mains that are large and near walls have a higher bass response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.