Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I'm using ZP to replace WMP as my general media file player. However, on some files, it defaults to DivX Pro 5.03 that I have installed, rather than ffdshow. I can tell by the DivX logo that appears on the bottom right, as well as the grayed out ffdshow selection in the filters menu. If I play some other file, it will work, and then if I play the same file again after that, it will use ffdshow. How do I get it to use ffdshow the first time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Goi-- in some cases do you want to use the DivX Pro filter? If not, sounds like you should unregister it so Zoomplayer doesn't see it at all?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Goi,

afaik you have to got to the manual filters section in ZP and go to the Registered Filter Manager. Then you have to give ffdshow a higher merit than Divx. :)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I can't see how ffdshow and divx are both loaded at once? Have you enabled a manual filter profile of some sort?

The FFDShow config dialog allows you to check which codecs you want it to decode. Doing so raises its merit quite high (above divx on my system).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I've installed divx for encoding purposes. So, I'd like to keep it around, and not uninstall it.

Blight, I didn't setup any filters or graphs on this computer, everything's on auto/default. Under ffdshow's config, I've checked all the relevant codecs, including divx/xvid, but sometimes it still picks divx over ffdshow.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nima, in my Registered Filter Manager, "ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder" has a merit of 40000004, while "DivX Decoder Filter"(2 instances) and "DivX MPEG-4 DVD Video Decompressor" all have merits of 00800000, so it seems ffdshow does have a higher merit. However, sometimes DivX still ends up getting used instead.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, it turns out that its using "DivX Decoder Filter" sometimes, but since there are 2 instances, I unregistered both. Now, sometimes it will show no video(black screen) instead of using ffdshow...if I close and reopen the same file, it will continue showing the blank screen, but if I try opening another file and then go back to the old one, it will use ffdshow...

What's up with that?

·
Registered
529 Posts
If I have been able to glean a few crumbs, when DirectShow is allowed to automagically connect filters, it scans the one that are:

a: registered

and selects the subset that

b: have 'input pin(s)' compatable with the 'output pin(s) of the previous filter

and then chooses the one that

c: has the highest 'merit' value

and then

d: tries to complete the chain (get to a filter with no output pins, but rather goes to a device)

If the chain cannot complete, then try the next filter on the 'merit' scale.

Where things get confused is that some non-MS filters set their 'merit' to a extremely high value when installed (usually by dropping the leading zeroes - 40000004 instead of 00400004).

But what really messes things up is that ffdshow's 'pins' are both adjustable and many!

Thus, if ffdshow has its DivX 'input pin' (or pins - there are several) active, and a high enough merit, it will insert as a decoder; if it has the 'raw' pin active (and enough 'merit') it will insert as a post-decode process.

And when you add its ability to 'call' (pass data to certain non-directshow filters and get modified data back to pass on) and to chain all sorts of internal processes in whatever order you choose, the mind begins to spin.

Then again, I could just be totally confused on this subject.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
goi, you do not need the directshow filter installed to encode with divx. The DivX encoder is a VFW component, not directshow (although there is a directshow version I think, but hardly anything uses directshow for encoding).

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but I do need to install DivX Pro 5.0.3 in order to encode right? Anyway, I've unregistered the DivX filters, but for some movies its still not working, i.e. it shows up as a black screen rather than use ffdshow, so my question still remains - how can I force ffdshow to be used for decoding divx/xvid/etc encoded movies?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Have you toggled on all the DivX versions support in ffdshow? What are the failing streams flagged as? Any chance they're Xvid or old MP41,42 or 43?

You shouldn't need to unregister DivX; just set its merit a bit below that of ffdshow. Then if ffdshow is toggled to support the stream's fourcc, it will be selected in preference to the DivX decoder.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Goi:

Like keh said, you must enable MPv1/MPv2/MPv3/XVID/DIVX3/DIVX4/DIVX5/Etc... basically everything except "RAW" (unless you use ffdshow in dvd processing).

Oh, and don't enable MPEG 1/2 either.

If this still doesn't work, provide a sampel file so I can look at it.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If by toggling you mean checking the DivX checkbox under CODECS in the ffdshow config, then yes I've done that. How do I check what the streams are flagged as?

Edit: under CODECs I have XviD, DivX3/4/5, MP43/42/41, WMV1 and Raw Video checked(I use it for DVD decoding as well.)

The only codecs that aren't checked are H.263+, MPEG1/2, MJPEG, DV and Huffyuv. Should I check those?

Also, my question is, how come ZP fails to pick up ffdshow as the divx decoder filter the first time, but when I open another file and come back to the same one again, it does it right this time? It seems like it needs some trigger/initialization or something.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blight...I can't provide a sample file since they happen randomly to any of my encoded files. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I guess either ZP or Windows itself is just not picking up ffdshow correctly as a DivX decoder. When I right click on the file and choose Properties, and go to the "Summary" tab, the Video Compression just shows "DivX codec"

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Keh, I installed gspot 2.1 and tried it on a few of my DivX 5.0 encoded files and Gspot claims that the CODEC isn't installed. That's coz I unregisted the DivX Pro 5.0.3 filtesr. It didn't pick up the ffdshow DS filter though.

I then tried on some XVID encoded files I had, and Gspot picked up the XVID MPEG-4 Video Decoder that I also have installed on my computer. However it also picked up the ffdshow DS filter. However it says "DS is apparently able to play the file as well, though it has selected a different codec."

I don't think Gspot is very accurate though, since it says I don't have the Ogg Vorbis codec installed, but I do have it installed, and its working fine on my Ogg encoded files. It only says that DirectShow was able to render it correctly...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well, GSPOT is simply going to take the input file and ask DirectShow to see what it can come up with, and tell you what happened.

The problem when we play around with all these codecs is that one easily loses track of them and who is going to get selected for a given stream type.

And don't forget that ffdshow can insert after a decoder if the 'raw' toggle is on. (Obviously doesn't decode, but can easily process your CPU into the ground.)

Zoomplayer is really handy to see what codecs exist and their merit values.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.