AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some help, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

First my setup:

TV: m501d-a2r (supports bitstreaming for the optical out)

vizio S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar connected via optical from tv

My PS4 sends the DD 5.1 to the sounbar from the optical out on my TV no problems, as well as my chromecast

My HTPC has a GTX 670 but windows only shows as a 2 channel output through HDMI, I have made sure that all the settings are the same on each input, but it's only my HTPC that is having problems trying to send a 5.1 signal to my tv.

I rather not run another audio cable to the soundbar, is there a software or hardware based solution (maybe a HDMI switcher)?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
813 Posts
What king of 5.1 signal are you trying to send from the HTPC? If it is undecoded DD 5.1, it should work, similar to the PS4. Anything else will exceed the capacity of the optical connection. Make sure you have the HTPC player application configured to stream DD. (Btw, I was not aware TVs can pass through from the HDMI to the optical; I would have not expected it to work at all )

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah not all TV's have the feature, it was one of the selling points of the Vizio for me.

I'm just trying to send DD 5.1, but the problem is that Windows volume control only shows the connection as Stereo with no option to change to a 5.1 set up. I have read that it might be an EDID problem, and that the GPU detects the tv only having 2 speakers and will only output stereo even is the TV is configured to bitstream.

I've been searching and it seems others are having similar problems, but no solutions so far. I'm wondering if something like HDMI detective might fix this issue, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Are you trying to get Windows to output DD 5.1? That isn't going to happen. Windows will output DD if you make sure its selected as a supported format only if you playback media that is encoded as DD.

Its not going to encode sound on the fly to DD. That only happens with sound cards that support DD Live, and it happens in hardware or the device drivers, Windows still "thinks" its outputting analog multichannel to the sound device. This is also a mostly-dead technology as its not necessary with HDMI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that, I'm not wanting windows to encode anything. The problem is that the gpu is sending everything as Stereo, I cant configure my speaker set up in Windows past stereo, which is the frustrating part since all my other devices recognize a 5.1 setup.

similar to this

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The TV must be "telling" your PC that it's a 2 channel sink, thus Windows is only giving your that option.

You might try asking in the EDID Override thread, I'm not familiar with the process.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The number of channel configured in Windows does not matter for bitstreaming. Actully, the preferred configuration is Stereo on the HTPC for decoded audio, but bitstream non-decoded multichannel to the receiver.

I would be more concerned with the "HDCP: Not supported" message. It does look like a handshake problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was thinking that too. I got a Samsung TV with HDMI and optical audio out, Its a no go cuz of the TV. try splitting up into 2 outputs 1 o tv and 1 to avr.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304  /t/1520117/how-to-get-5-1-from-gtx-670-to-tv#post_24417530

I was thinking that too. I got a Samsung TV with HDMI and optical audio out, Its a no go cuz of the TV. try splitting up into 2 outputs 1 o tv and 1 to avr.
Yeah I think this is going to be the only way to get it to work properly. I'm looking into one of those adapters that split the audio from the HDMI into spdif.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pretty much the only solution to me. their other solutions, but to keep cost low, getting audio to split would be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have the same GPU for my HTPC. I dont have a PS4 though. So, you have PS4 ---> TV -----> Soundbar. This setup is working fine for you, if Im not mistaken. So you also have a PC in the mix that you use as a HTPC. This setup needs to be PC ----->Soundbar - PC -----> TV. You need to run a DVI to the TV, as DVI transmits the video only, and you need to run an HDMI to the soundbar for the sound. Once you do that your NVIDIA CP should recognize the soundbar, as should your OS. In NVIDIA CP you go to "setup digital audio" and you should see your TV and soundbar, disable sound for the TV. Then, in windows sound options click the playback devices and select your soundbar as Default and click properties and you should be able to set up 5.1 from there. 

The GTX 670 has two HDMI outputs and one DVI output so you should be able to transmit with no issues. Make sure to update the NVIDIA GPU to the latest drivers. Also make sure you have your media players set up properly to send 5.1 and DD and DTS to your card. 

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts