AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got basic cable and I'd love to get some nice sound out it. What are my options? I'm sort of grandfathered into a good cable deal and dont want to have to switch to digi-cable for like 70$s a month. Digicable boxes seem to be going for like 160 or so on ebay ... and I'm assuming i could some how find a black box of sorts for cheaper maybe.

Is getting one of these going to give me 5.1 sound from basic analog cable? Are there other options?

(is this even the right forum to post on). A search didnt seem to bring anything up in previous postings on this topic).

Thanks for any input.

· Registered
1,762 Posts
I have basic cable on my main set but it also has a built in HD tuner with a digital (Toslink) audio out into a 7.1 receiver with PLIIx processing. In order for the digital sound to output to the receiver, however, I need to be viewing local channels through a separate indoor antenna that I have connected to the other antenna input. When receiving shows this way I get full digital sound, but true 5.1 can only be received when the program is being broadcast in true 5.1. Otherwise for non-5.1 OTA and I believe all analog cable, I get only a simulated surround effect. In any case the receiver will output sound to all 7 speakers (8 including the sub) using the IIx processing, but the sound is noticeably inferior to true digital 5.1 surround broadcasts. This is especially evident when watching certain movies with superior soundtracks using the antenna, and I have never experienced this kind of clarity and impact when watching a movie through analog cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.