AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

So, I have essentially a prehistoric problem, as follows:

I have a Kinergetics Chiro C-802, which sounds amazing, and we love it!

-The problem is, this is a 5.1 processor, and we have 7 speakers and 7 channels of amplification.

Previously, we have been using a Parasound CSE 6.1 Center Surround Expander to achieve the surround back channels. Now, however, the expander has broken, and we haven't been able to find a way of replacing the functionality of this box.

So my question to those who will listen is; how can I expand a 5.1 system into a 7.1 system, preferably without buying a new processor?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
No real 7.1, but multiple side surrounds is a valid config in 5.1....

I'd be inclined to just "Y" the SR, and SL outputs from the processor before the amps and make both SL and SLB the same and SR and SRB the same content.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically just duplicate the surround channels from 2 into 4, right??

I understand the concept, I think, but could you please give an example of such a device?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh cool, yeah that's what I thought.

As it turns out, I have looping outputs on the back of my amp, so problem solved!

Well, thank you very much for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I am pretty sure this will be Ok for you. I have set a fair amount of Blu-ray and HD-DVD players up for people where the players only had 5.1 analog output to their 7.1 systems this way. They all seemed pleased with the result so far.

Not that they know any better, they just wanted all their speakers to produce sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But of course!

You couldn't have friends over to experience your brand new home theater if only 5 of the 7 speakers were working!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts