AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a DVD Audio disc ( Metallica: Metallica (DVD-Audio) ) that lists several audio formats: Audio Format: 5.1 channel 96/24, Stereo 96/24, Dolby Digital 5.1. I have an MAudio Audiophile 2496 connected via S/PDIF to a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver which can handle 24bit 96Khz digital signals.

I tried playing the DVD in a few software DVD players on my HTPC (Zoom, Sonic Cineplayer 1.5, and WinDVD 4). Sonic and WinDVD worked fine; Zoom hung when a track was selected, which is odd because it is set up to use the Sonic decoders... Anyway, the disc played in Dolby Digital 5.1 48khz mode, and sounded just fine.

My question is, how can I play the disc in either stereo 96/24 (which the receiver does support) or 5.1 channel 96/24 (which I assume the receiver doesn't support, but I'm curious nonetheless). I don't see multiple audio tracks listed in either of the working DVD players. Do I need a special player for a DVD Audio disc? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

·
Registered
778 Posts
You need software that is not yet available, but promised shortly. Try to find the thread about the MAudio revolution. It has details about this. Your other options are the Audigy2 soundcard which comes with it's own DVD-Audio software; and a Settop DVD-Audio player. Regular DVD players can not play DVD-Audio. BTW, none of the soundcards will output a DVD-Audio signal to your receiver. The only option is analog, this is not the soundcard manufacturer's choice, but the DVD-Audio standard owner's restriction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.